Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Dec 02, 2009 @ 07:35
    Lee

Weird Problem Saving Member Problem?

I have setup a client with access to the Umbraco admin section as an Administrator, and given them access to Content, Media & Members.  They need to be able to add new members, and then save them into a particular role.

I got a call saying they just could not save the member after creating it - So they could not assign a role via the Umbraco UI, I logged in as them from my computer and it worked fine.  I went over to see them as thought they were doing something wrong, but they weren't?   They were logging in with the same user name etc... doing everything right, but as soon as they moved the role across and hit save (The blue disk) nothing happened?

They are using the same OS, browser, Anti-Virus as me because I bought there laptop at the same time I got mine?  I'm a bit confused?  

Any ideas how I start to track this down as I have another email this morning, stressing concern again they still can't save members!!

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 02, 2009 @ 07:58
    Aaron Powell

Maybe you could explain what you mean by 'can't save members'. Does it have an error, does nothing happen, etc.

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Dec 02, 2009 @ 08:58
    Lee

I think its the same problem as you had Aaron, he could create a member but once created - They went into the properties moved over the groups they wanted the member to be part of and clicked the save button, then nothing happened - Literally like a dead button.

Once they are in later today I'll get them to check the password field ;)

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 02, 2009 @ 09:17
    Dirk De Grave

Lee, 

Could be due to fact that password fields do not match (Ok, you can't see this as those fields appear hidden...) I always retype both password field before saving...

Hope this helps.

Regards

/Dirk

• DetonatorB 17 posts 40 karma points
    Dec 11, 2009 @ 00:30
    DetonatorB

Actually Dirk, it turns out that Dirk was on to something.

I had this same issue - press the save button and absolutely nothing happened. Or so it seemed.

Opening the Change Password box revealed the password in the password box, bot not in the second box and so validation failed.
    But the error was 'shown' in the collapsed box.

Now for the solution.
    I was using FireFox (but I reckon this could happen with other browsers as well) and I had told Firefox to remember the password for this member.
    So Firefox dutifully pre-filled the password box upon opening the member page, but did not fill out the second password box.
    So what do we do about this?

Do not tell Firefox to remember the password for you.
    If you already did, you can remove this password from Firefox by:

Tools->Options->Security->Saved Passwords

Have fun.

• Rasmus Østergård 19 posts 81 karma points c-trib
    Jun 02, 2010 @ 09:54
    Rasmus Østergård

Thanks to DetonatorB I saved hours of debugging

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft