Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Maxwell 10 posts 61 karma points
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:34
    David Maxwell

non-photo gallery?

I am having a tough time wrapping my head around all the different configuration capabilities of Umbraco, so please forgive me if this is a really stupid question.  But has anyone implemented a front-end version of the media section?  The UI of the media section is solid and even my most basic users would be able to make use of it.  But I'm grasping at straws on where to even start to get that type of functionality within the templates. 

I can't determine...

• If there's already a doc-type for that
    • Should I do that via the template/xslt

I think I've just read to many different documents and my head is swimming - this seems like it should be pretty basic, but I can't get my head right for starting with it.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:51
    Dirk De Grave

Hi David,

First of all: welcome to umbraco

Media section in umbraco is where users (mind that there's a difference between a user - having access to the admin backend - and a member - who has to register on the frontend (and can have different roles similar to the asp.net membership roles) upload and store all kinds of media. On a basic installation, one has three different types of media: folder, file and image. You may create additional ones, but that's most of the times not really necessary. Media items can be made part of a document type (for example: using the media picker). 

I haven't seen many sites offering a front-end version of the media section. Do you have a specific case for that? Do you need to build some kind of digital asset management system?

Also, I'd really recommend installing warren's fabulous Creative Website Starter (project page) which will 'teach' the building blocks of umbraco and how all those blocks fit together.

I assume my post is far from complete but hope you get jump started on using umbraco. If still having questions and/or issues, feel free to ask, you'll get some answers pretty fast.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

/Dirk

• David Maxwell 10 posts 61 karma points
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 20:14
    David Maxwell

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, essentially, I need a digital asset management system for the end-users/members of the site, though the assets would be totally controlled by the users on the back-end.  I am part of a large chorus which sings barbershop harmony, and what we have is a set of learning tracks which our members use to learn all of their music.  The music is broken down into a number of categories (Holiday Show, Spring Show, Repertoire, etc) and then by song & voice part.  I've created the basic structure in the media section, and thanks to the multiple upload package, I've been able to get a number of the songs loaded in a short time.  Now I just need to find an efficient way to get the files out to the members (behind a protect area) for them to download. 

Being able to limit the files to specific member groups and to track total downloads of each file (and perhaps by person) are in the future once I get my feet wet with Umbraco, but for now I just need a way to open up the access to the users.

I do have CWS installed - I just haven't had the time to fully immerse myself in each file to figure out exactly what they did and why and how I can apply that to what I want to do.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft