Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:30
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

IIS binding/Manage hostnames stopped working

Hi all,

I'm starting to get quite a headache with a 4.11.1 Umbraco installation. The installation runs on a dedicated webserver with IIS and the content section has about eight different sites with their own hostnames.

The way I've set it up from the start is like this:

• Site 1 (hostname: www.site1.com, language: english)
    • Site 2 (hostname: www.site2.com, language: english)
    • Site 3 (hostname: www.site3.dk, language: danish)

In IIS, I've set up the corresponding bindings to match www.site1.com, www.site2.com and www.site3.dk on the same website.

This setup has worked perfect, but today, when I wanted to add a new site, added the hostname in Umbraco, added the binding in IIS and set the DNS, it suddenly stopped working. All the previous sites still works with their hostnames and bindings, though (thanks God!) But when adding new sites, the hostname is completely ignored. Instead, the first website in Umbraco is displayed.

I had a peek at the umbracoLog table and got a lot of SitemapProvider errors. I then found a blogpost, which said the fix for this was removing the sitemap provider from the web.config. Removing it from the config certainly stopped the logging, but it didn't fix the hostnames/bindings issue.

Also, I tried to run a iisreset on the webserver, but with no result at all.

Question is: how can this suddenly stop working? :-O No on has touched anything and the new site is set up exactly like all the others.

Any one else experienced this and found a fix?

All help/hints are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bo

Yeah the sitemap provider stuff has nothing to do with the issue you're seeing. It's just throwing a lot of errors and I'm not sure why. So I felt pretty pleased when my pull request to remove it was accepted at CG13 :D - The reason for having it was something with Sharepoint...yada yada...blah blah...

BUT have you made sure you have set

/Jan

• Damian Green 452 posts 1433 karma points
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:47
    Damian Green

First thing id check and double check are the spellings of the hostnames and that its set to port 80.

Also check that the dns is resolving to your IP address with either nslookup or ping.

I would also probably stick a static html page in the root of the site and browse to that on the domain to check if its iis or umbraco thats at fault.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:50
    Damian Green

Just re-read and it looks like it is getting to your iis site so double check the spellings in the umbraco hostnames and that you dont have any dodgy characters or spaces in there or something.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:51
    Damian Green

One other thing that springs to mind is could your iis be forcing the culture to english and it not getting routed to the domain because of that?

Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Good points Damian - The reason I mention the useDomainPrefix setting is because if it's not set to true Umbraco will serve the first website if it hits a site that is not found. It should throw a 404 instead, but only if the setting is set to true. Also I think it's a best practice since it eliminates the risk of serving duplicate content.

But yes, it's probably a misspelling somewhere...and is the DNS changed already or still pointing to the old IP?

/Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:54
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Jan and Damian,

Thanks for chiming in! :-)

Jan: yup, I'm sure that setting is set to true.

Damian: I just made a quick test, placing a HTML page in the root of the website which is displayed when entered in the browser.

I've doublechecked name and spelling and it's alright both in Umbraco and on IIS.

The "funny" thing is, I can set up a subdomain site like so: mysite.mymainsite.com and it displays right away, so I guess, after all, that it's not either Umbracos fault or IIS's. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the domain having a 'æ' in it? The domain is www.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:55
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

When I ping the domain, it displays the right IP adress, so... :-) It's definitely pointing to the right place, just not "picked up", it seems.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 16:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Ok, sounds like a character issue then...I don't suppose writing æg.dk helps? (Long shot I know).

/Jan

Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Will you believe it :-) The reason why it was not picked up by Umbraco was, that when it contains special characters like æøå, it has to be entered like so: xn--domain-p0a.dk There went a good 3 hours and a pile of gray hair ;-)

Damian Green

All the other domains were working so i was pretty sure the hostnames settings was ok.

What were the findings on the culture?

The funny character also may be an issue. Is that character in the ignore file in umbraco and getting converted so not hitting the hostname?

<char org=" ">-</char>
      <char org="&quot;"></char>
      <char org="'"></char>
      <char org="%"></char>
      <char org="."></char>
      <char org=";"></char>
      <char org="/"></char>
      <char org="\"></char>
      <char org=":"></char>
      <char org="#"></char>
      <char org="+">plus</char>
      <char org="*">star</char>
      <char org="&amp;"></char>
      <char org="?"></char>
      <char org="æ">ae</char>
      <char org="ø">oe</char>
      <char org="å">aa</char>
      <char org="ä">ae</char>
      <char org="ö">oe</char>
      <char org="ü">ue</char>
      <char org="ß">ss</char>
      <char org="Ä">ae</char>
      <char org="Ö">oe</char>
      <char org="|">-</char>
      <char org="&lt;"></char>
      <char org="&gt;"></char>

Apr 24, 2014 @ 17:07
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Damian: I see! It's there :-)

<char org="æ">ae</char>

So bascially, I could've just removed it from there aswell, or?

Anyway, it works now when I entered the ... not-so readable URL in Umbraco hostnames ;-)

Apr 24, 2014 @ 17:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bo

Ah yes of course! That actually does make sense.

Usually I urge our clients to simply have domains containing æ, ø or å 301 redirect to the main domain without these characters to avoid issue like the above. So having aeg.dk as the main domain and then æg.dk to just 301 redirect to aeg.dk instead.

Think there are also some issues with these characters across browser, mail clients etc. etc.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 17:25
    Damian Green

You cant go wrong with a .co.uk domain! ;)

Never done anything with a domain like that before so glad i got involved in this. Something to watch out for.

Glad you got it sorted.

Damian

Apr 24, 2014 @ 23:08
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Jan: and I fully agree :-) I might aswell make that a practice myself, seems simpler.

Damian: that would be way easier, but we "suffer" from the nordic æøå-curse o'er here :-D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft