Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 06:08
    Chris Mahoney

Allow editors to modify data types?

Hi,

I have a custom data type using the "dropdown list" property editor, so that the category of a page can be selected and stored in its metadata.

I've now been told that editors will need to be able to edit the list entries. Is there any way that I can accomplish this short of the sledgehammer approach (opening up the Developer section)?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 09:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Chris

If you're using an Umbraco version < 7 then you should be able to use the ultimate picker datatype. It let's you define a datatype that shows a list of entries from the content tree when you provide a node id from, which it should generate the list.

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

• Chris Mahoney 235 posts 447 karma points
    Apr 09, 2014 @ 23:28
    Chris Mahoney

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response. I'm running 6.1.6 so have changed to Ultimate Picker which solves the stated problem, but now I can't figure out how to query the thing from my partial view macros.

The documentation all seems to be from a couple of years ago, but I'd expect that @CurrentPage.committee would return the ID of the selected node (my picker is named "committee"). However, it doesn't return anything. No errors, but no node ID either. Google isn't proving too helpful; most of the results are from older versions of Umbraco and I'm having trouble with adapting them to work in 6.1.6.

Once I have the node ID then I'm sure that I can figure the rest out on my own; it's just this first step that I'm stuck on.

Help! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft