Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charles 42 posts 63 karma points
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 20:17
    Charles

How to uninstall a package?

Hello using Umbraco 4.6.1, and so I thought I would create a package in the Developer Section. Did this, and added to a different site with the same version of Umbraco 4.6.1.

Problem is, I installed 3 packages, but I don't see them anywhere now. I am unable to get to the package to uninstall it, because I don't see them anywhere! I know that they installed, because it said it installed successfully, and it shows the package features on the site.

But now I need to get rid of these packages, but i don't want to delete the whole site in order to do this. How do you remove packages that aren't showing up in the Packages section of the Developers area?

Anyone?

Mar 14, 2014 @ 20:36
    Charles

Also, looking at this url here: http://channels4umbraco.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Uninstall%20Package

Says I should look for...

Installed Packages in the subtree and double click it to get all sub items representing the packages you installed before.

I do not see a "Installed Packages" area in the "Packages" folder of the Developer area. How can I remove the packages that I installed via local package?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 21:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Charles

When you created the package on website A did you then include some 3rd party packages, which was not installed on website B but was included in your custom package?

And is it after you installed the package on website B these issues has occured?

The reason for your missing uninstall options may be because the /app_data/packages/installed/installedPackages.config is corrupt or perhaps is missing for some reason.

But are you missing the "installed packages" section from both of your installations? Or just the one I refer to as website B?

Looking forward to hear from you.

/Jan

Mar 15, 2014 @ 00:28
    Charles

Website A = The site that the packages were built from. Website B = The site that the packages are installed on.

Website A did not install any packages, and am not wanting to do this since if it acts in the same way as Website B does, I won't be able to remove them and that is not what I want. I just wanted to test how packages work.

Quite frankly, I am needing to copy over Document Types and Some of the settings and just some of the Content Nodes, not all of them.

However, their was an initial error upon installing the first package. After that the other packages installed just fine. The error was not very specific and just said error in package installation, failed.

So, here's what I am in need of doing.

Website A = a site that I have been working on from the client back in January of this year. Includes all of my changes, new User Controls, and Data Types, etc. etc. This was based on the clients site as it was back in January of this year.

Website B = The current site as it is NOW! I need to implement my changes that I performed on Website A into Website B. I thought that building a package from Website A with all of the changes that I made in the Umbraco Admin, would work, however, since these changes also implement User Controls that affect how things look and load on the site, depending on properties from Data Types and Content, the package (once installed) did not allow me to than go ahead and make changes to the Documents and have them update on the actual site. Instead, no matter what I did, it didn't change anything. The Menu's that were added to the package, did not change when I changed properties of those Menus on Website B, after installing the package. Not sure if this is what Packages in Umbraco could be used for or not. Perhaps, I misunderstood what a package is for exactly.

Really, I am just trying to get my changes from Jan., 2014 on Website A, into the current site as it is now, in Website B.

Is using packages a helpful solution for this? so as to not interfere with any changes that were made since Website A was started? Perhaps that is not a valid means to update a new site with your changes to it from an older version of the site. Maybe you can point me to an actual VALID way to do this for the same Umbraco version of the site (4.6.1 are both on Website A and Website B)?

Mar 15, 2014 @ 00:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Charles

Ok I think I get the scenario now.

And I understand the insecure feeling you're having right now since what you're doing should be easy enough to achieve without the system acting up. But there is a lot of things I don't know about your system that may be the cause.

So these two sites...are they running on the same server or is Site A a local version of the site? And is B running on a webserver on a live or staging environment? If so...are there any differences in the server setup?

One of the reasons why the package is failing to install correctly could be because of an permission issue. So if I were you I would check if site B's application pool is run by network service and that the network service and iusr user accounts have full permissions to the umbraco root folder and is inherited all the way down to the last level.

Also there may be some usefull information in the log table in the Umbraco database, which can give a clue about what could be wrong.

However in order to uninstall the package without the "installedPackages.config" I mentioned in my previous post would be to remove files, datatypes, document types, templates etc. manually. Since you know the content of the package you will be able to remove files etc. if you have access to the server of course. I know that is not ideal but it's a way of doing it. But I would recommend that you check the permission and app pool settings to make sure these are setup correctly. 

Doing so it's a good idea to reference the installation guide to make sure settings are right - You can find the reference here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/permissions and the manual instructions http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-manually

It's always a good idea to manage source code for the dev site using a source control management system like GIT for instance. That way you're always able to rollback to working versions of your code etc. Don't know if that is the case currently.

Second it's also always recommended to make a backup of all files and the database before deploying files to a live site or a site that is going to be the live site.

The approach you're taking is quite common even though on newer versions it's possible to use the uSync package - But I don't think if it's supported in v4.6.1. You could also do it manually creating document types, templates, macroes and templates in the live instance manually and then upload files using FTP. But making a package is easier. But it can create some issues if you need to deploy a content node for instance and the local install and live install are not running the same database since id's can conflict with each other since thery're not based on unique guids.

I hope these pointers help!

/Jan

Mar 15, 2014 @ 01:03
    Charles

Thanks, this is a HUGE HELP!!!!!!

Yes, the database names are different! Yes, the IDS are different. Yes the AppPool Identities are different. But the permissions are perfectly fine for each different AppPool Identity. Yes, the passwords for the database are different also.

The servers are the same, the IIS is the same version as well. I will just do it manually since it would be too much trouble to do this via a package successfully, so that even if everything matches 1 to 1, it might still cause issues. It's just a pain cause so many files have been changed, and not even sure if there was new functionality installed in any of the files (that I will be changing) on Website B, from that of when I started coding on Website A.

They are currently on localhost of different instances, both within a Remote Desktop connection. Well, I best get started cause this will take all day and all night to do manually.... arggggg!

Mar 15, 2014 @ 01:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Charles

You're welcome :)

You could try to change the app pool identity of site B though to network service - asuming you're just running the "ApplicationPool identity" on this site.

Just make sure you do a backup before you do anything so you don't risk to loose some work :)

/Jan

Mar 15, 2014 @ 01:11
    Charles

Website B is currently using DefaultAppPool Identity and I believe it is IIUSR or something like that. However, Website A is not using NETWORK SERVICE, it is using Administrator account instead on that machine instance. I don't know if I should try the package thing again... still hesitant to give it another try...

Mar 15, 2014 @ 01:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm ok, well if the Administrator account has the proper rights (including the network service and iusr accounts in the group) then I guess that should be good enough.

But I'm not to certain of your setup so I can't give you an acute advice on this.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft