Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ko Phyo 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 05:00
    Ko Phyo

Forget My Password For Umbraco Admin Site

Hi Every One!

Good Day.

I have the some problem with umbraco.What that, I am forget my password of umbraco admin page for
    my website.How cam i get back that password.Please help me everyone..

thank & best regard

Ko Phyo

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 10:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ko and welcome to our :)

If you have access to the database then you can reset the password by following these steps - But ONLY do it if you know what you're doing :)

1: In the web.config of the Umbraco application search for "hashed". It should give you 2 hits concerning passwords for users and members. Change both from "hashed" to "clear". This make Umbraco store the password as clear text in the database.

2: Go the user table in the database. In the password column you'll see your current password...in a hashed format. So change the password in this column to one you can remember in clear text.

3: Login to Umbraco and stay logged in while you do step 4

4: Change the web.config back to using "hashed" instead of "clear", since "clear" is not recommended due to security reasons.

5: When the web.config is changed back to storing password in a hashed format - in Umbraco you go to the users section and change your password once again so the password is being hashed again.

I hope this makes sense!

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 12:49
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ko,

I will like to add another way of doing this (A shorter way). Jan´s post is a great step by step guide,

1: Find the user table in database. Change th string in the password column to bnWxWyFdCueCcKrqniYK9iAS+7E=

This string bnWxWyFdCueCcKrqniYK9iAS+7E= is the hashed value for the password default.

When you have done that you should be able to login with your username and in the password field you type default.

2: After you´re logged into the Umbraco office go the users section and change your password, to the password that you want.

As I said this is a short version of Jan´s great great guide.

If you want an SQL script you could execute this script on the database, and it should set the admin password to default

UPDATE umbracoUser set userdisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='bnWxWyFdCueCcKrqniYK9iAS+7E=' where id=0;

Remember to change the userLogin if yours is not admin if you choose to use the SQL script.

As Jan says be careful you're dealing with the database.

/Dennis

• rob 75 posts 170 karma points
    Aug 07, 2014 @ 10:52
    rob

Just had to battle this issue and it turned out that the admin record had userNoConsole set to 1.

So the fix was to reset this along with the password

UPDATE umbracoUser set userNoConsole=0, userdisabled=0, userLogin='admin', userPassword='bnWxWyFdCueCcKrqniYK9iAS+7E=' where id=0;

The weird thing is, as far as I can tell only the Admin account has access to the Admin account settings to make that fatal change.

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Jun 09, 2015 @ 17:54
    Tony Groome

Thanks Jan and Dennis - saved me again!!

Tony

• Osman Coskun 164 posts 398 karma points
    Jun 15, 2015 @ 09:55
    Osman Coskun

I couldn't manage to reset password on umbraco 6.2.5 :(

• Osman Coskun 164 posts 398 karma points
    Jun 15, 2015 @ 09:56
    Osman Coskun

Actually i remember the password, but i can't login after installation and working over site for hours.

Any ideas?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft