Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Reinold Beyer 11 posts 66 karma points
    Feb 17, 2014 @ 13:49
    Reinold Beyer

Media nodes backend very, very slow after upgrade 4.11 --> 6.1.6

Hi,

I have seearched the web as well as the forums but can't find a solution to my issue...

I have upgraded my 4.11 site to 6.1.6 and all is working well & fast except the 'Media' backend. Expanding the root node takes already some seconds but when I go down the next level it already takes a minute - after that I need to wait several minutes until the node expands.

The CPU usage goes up to 100% for that time as well.

I'm using MS SQL CE 4.0 and I have already tried to check the database. I found some indexes miniing (compared to a new installation) and created them: no effect.

I've gone through all config settings and compared to the clean, new web configs and all seem to be similar.

I have also installed a new web and added several folder levels and many images (>100) to test: all works fine, fast and without any problems (so it is not the server or .NET or anything on the machine...).

What is different?
    What can I do?

Please help me! The backend is not usable anymore....

Thank you very much!

• Fatih Genc 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 23, 2014 @ 14:29
    Fatih Genc

I am having a similar issue. I also upgraded from 4.11 to 6.1.3, the media nodes take ages to load - around 10-15 seconds. When i further upgrade to 6.1.6, the media nodes don't load for atleast 30 seconds.

My client is currently uploading their content and is aiming to go to production soon. I am unable to update the CMS to the latest version until I can figure out what is wrong so would kindly request this issue be looked at soon and some advise given as to what it could be.

i have looked in the windows event and can't see any associated errors

I am using SQL CE as the database, updated with the installer when updating from version 4.11 to 6.1.3

• Reinold Beyer 11 posts 66 karma points
    Feb 23, 2014 @ 21:00
    Reinold Beyer

Hi community,

after a very long time of investigating I found the reason: missing indexes!

I know, above I wrote that I checked & created them, but somehow this didn't work correctly and I only found out after hours and hours of testing :-/ However, it looks as if the upgrade drops several veeeeeery important indexes on the database, which makes the media nodes nearly unuseable! I made a database diff between a new created database of Umbraco and my upgarded database and found several differences - some of them are indexes - and obviously some are essential for the media nodes to work!

@Umbraco team: please look into this - especially what else might be missing in upgraded databases :-)

@all others: the solution that worked for me:

1) Use the SQL CE Toolbox (http://sqlcetoolbox.codeplex.com/) if you are using SQL CE or a SQL Editor and open a connection to your Umbraco database (of course backup before :-)

2) Execute the statements below on your database (it could be that some indexes are missing, are too much or not necessary, but these are the ones that were identified as missing between a new installation & my database. There are also some other stataments in the difference analysis (like constraints and defaults) but I left them out as all other things seem to work quite well...):

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsContent] ON [cmsContent] ([nodeId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsContentType] ON [cmsContentType] ([nodeId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_cmsContentType_icon] ON [cmsContentType] ([icon] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsContentVersion_VersionId] ON [cmsContentVersion] ([VersionId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsDataType_nodeId] ON [cmsDataType] ([nodeId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsDictionary_id] ON [cmsDictionary] ([id] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsDocument] ON [cmsDocument] ([nodeId] ASC,[versionId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsDocument] ON [cmsDocument] ([nodeId] ASC,[versionId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_cmsPropertyData_1] ON [cmsPropertyData] ([contentNodeId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_cmsPropertyData_2] ON [cmsPropertyData] ([versionId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_cmsPropertyData_3] ON [cmsPropertyData] ([propertytypeid] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_cmsTaskType_alias] ON [cmsTaskType] ([alias] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_cmsTemplate_nodeId] ON [cmsTemplate] ([nodeId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX [IX_umbracoLanguage_languageISOCode] ON [umbracoLanguage] ([languageISOCode] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_umbracoLog] ON [umbracoLog] ([NodeId] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_umbracoNodeObjectType] ON [umbracoNode] ([nodeObjectType] ASC);
    GO
    CREATE INDEX [IX_umbracoNodeParentId] ON [umbracoNode] ([parentID] ASC);
    GO

After that the media nodes worked like a charm :-)

I hope that helps...

• Fatih Genc 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 11:11
    Fatih Genc

Hey Reinold, I followed your recommendations and it works like a charm. Thanks heaps!!

Yes "@Umbraco team: please look into this - especially what else might be missing in upgraded databases :-)"

@Umbraco team: There seems to be some database issues around lost indexes for those of us migrating from umbraco version 4.11 to 6.1.0 onwards.

• Christophe de la Bruyère 1 post 21 karma points
    May 13, 2014 @ 22:32
    Christophe de la Bruyère

Thanks a bunch Reinold, creating the indexes did the trick, spot on! (I could have been at this for days if it weren't for this post....)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft