Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sreeraman 3 posts 33 karma points
    Aug 11, 2009 @ 09:06
    sreeraman

vertical menu

Hello all

I am newbie to umbraco. can you please guide me how to implement a vertical menu. the menu text should be editable by a end user. i searched via google and came across many xslt scripts but unable to understand how to implement it

Please help me

Regards

Sreeraman

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Aug 11, 2009 @ 09:15
    Rasmus Berntsen

You could try the "Navigation Prototype" XSLT which is a part of a standard Umbraco installation. Go to developer, right-click on XSLT, click create and choose "Navigation Prototype" from the dropdown. Then all you need to do is to include the macro in your masterpage. The macro is created while you're creating the xslt... :)

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 11, 2009 @ 09:17
    Thomas Höhler

In principle you are doing a ul list with li elements for each menu entry. There it is the same for vertical and horizontal menues. the rest is done by CSS. So take an ul list and look for vertical menus via css. Or take a look at this navigation package: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/cogworks---flexible-navigation

hth, Thomas

Aug 11, 2009 @ 12:12
    sreeraman

i still don't understand how to implement it. Can you please guide me.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Aug 11, 2009 @ 13:10
    Rasmus Berntsen

Did you create the XSLT as I mentioned above? So you have a XSLT and a Macro? If yes, then all you have to is to find your masterpage and insert the Macro at that masterpage.

You could take a look at this package: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/creative-website-starter-(cws) and see how Umbraco works. It's a great way to learn the basics of Umbraco... =)

Aug 12, 2009 @ 06:45
    sreeraman

Thanks for your reply . we like to display a submenu under each menu. But we like to place the menu and submenu  within text fields and display. so that it will be possible for the user to change menu text.

Thanks in advance for your help

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 08:08
    Fredrik Esseen

The menu is created dynamically and is retrieving the menuitems from the pages that you have created. That way you dont have to change the menu text.  If you want to manually add a menuitem you can add that hardcoded in the xslt file (e.g a home link in the start of the menu)

Am I understanding you correctly?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft