Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 00:26
    Matt

Modified UserControl stopped rendering content

I have an existing UC that I have modified locally, and it works.

I copied the ascx and ascx.vb files to the server User Controls folder and they don't work. If I look at the stack trace it is complaining about template recursion. Reverting the user control back to the old one works fine.

So, have I missed out a step here in the updating process? Im confused as to why it works locally but not on the server. The control pulls data from teh database to populate a drop down. That bit is working. When an item is selected from the drop down, then I am using ajax to load some specific data and display that inside a panel. All my db sprocs can be run in DB Manager, and they work fine, and there are no errors in the logs, so I am sure that it is an IIS / Umbraco issue. The question is, what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 00:45
    jivan thapa

remember to copy dll file inside bin directory also.

• Christian Bech 20 posts 51 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 08:58
    Christian Bech

Hi. Have you also copied the UC's dll to the bin folder ?

/Christian

SORRY .. did'nt see the reply from jivan thapa 

Jul 24, 2012 @ 09:57
    Matt

Ah, I had forgotten that. 

But having done that, but I still get "Master template is the same as the current template. It would cause an endless loop" in the stack trace.

No other errors.

Any more suggestions? :-)

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 10:10
    Lennart Stoop

Did you make any changes to the template?

You might need to resave the template in Umbraco as templates are also cached in the database.

Grtz

L

Jul 24, 2012 @ 10:13
    Matt

Thanks, no. I didnt make any changes to the template (Though I have just resaved it in case, but it made no difference)

. The rest of the site works, I have just updated this one UC.

However, some experimentation has shown that if I remove the 2 Right hand menus the template errors disappear, but I still get no data.

Frustratingly this is not the case on my local pc.

So it looks like 2 issues now.

1) How do I get rid of the remplate errors. They do not appear on the older version of the UC, and the front end of that is no different, so I don't see how the templates can suddenly change.

2) Can I add my own diagnostic lines into umbraco so I can get some kind of output to see if / why my data isn't appearing?

Jul 24, 2012 @ 12:29
    Matt

Possibly bad form to answer your own posts, so sorry. I think I have managed to duplicate it and resolve it. It seems that the "Template Error" is just a default position that hides any number of sins. The rest of the issue is that my test data set different to that on live, which was causing me the real issue.

So this is closed.

Thanks again for those that tried to help, and pointed out that I had forgotten the assembly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft