Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rick 34 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 18:53
    Rick

Managing Hostnames and IIS

I am looking to use Umbraco as an application base for end-users to create their own websites. They would need the ability to point their domains to their website/portal once it has been created. I would like all the hostname and hostheader information to be automatically handled in the interface without manual intervention.

Everytime I have created a site in Umbraco in the past I needed to create the content, set the hostname in "Manage hostnames", and then modify the host headers in IIS.

Do you have to provision each domain in IIS? Can Umbraco handle creating the hostheader automatically or is there a way I wouldn't have to go into IIS to correctly point to the end-users content?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 19:00
    Morten Bock

Is it your own IIS? Or is it at a hosting company?

Jul 31, 2009 @ 19:08
    Morten Bock

If it is your own IIS, you to set up your IIS site to serve "Unassigned" hostnames. That will tell the IIS to send the request to that site of no other IIS applications are using the domain.

That way you dont need to tell the IIS anything as all the domains are routed to Umbraco, which again will serve the right content.

• Rick 34 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 19:13
    Rick

It would be a hosting company. I currently host with Softsys on their Silver Plan. Would I need to have my own Physical or Virtual server to accomplish what I want to do?

Jul 31, 2009 @ 19:45
    Morten Bock

I would imagine so. I don't know your host, but my guess is that they would want to charge your for each domain you attach to the solution, and they 99% sure won't let you interact with their IIS settings on a shared server.

So make sure that you find a hosting plan that allows what you want, which is probably your own virtual or physical server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft