Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    May 30, 2012 @ 15:40
    Matt

Swap static data for a variable

I have a site that currently has some text that needs to be changed every year.

What I'd like to do is to insert a data bound field where this text is, so that by updating the value in the database, the instance of the on all the pages updates.

Do I need to convert the pages using the static text to user controls (or macros), do I create a small macro or user control and insert that into the text flow, or s there some other way of achieving what I want.

• JohnC 37 posts 61 karma points
    May 30, 2012 @ 17:58
    JohnC

Depends on the size of the data/complexity, you could just use a dictionary item to achieve this.

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    May 30, 2012 @ 18:17
    Matt

thanks for the reply. I have found a few instances. So far the biggest culprit is a Date, and it recurs almost Quarterly, (But there is a manual process to decide exactly when the next quarter ends!.)

I appreciate that I might not be doing things the best way, but I feel that any improvement is worth making at this stage whilst I get to grips with this site, and Umbraco in general.

I'll look up dictionary items, unles you have any more advice or insights to offer :)

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft