Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott 69 posts 146 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 20:21
    Scott

How is the Media Picker supposed to work? What is its true intent?

I've inherited an umbraco site that was only partially completed. I have made some great strides in getting it to work and replace a classic asp authenticated website that has role-based security. I found a part of the site today though that I had previously overlooked. We have a piece of software that can be downloaded from our site. Our previous developer uploaded this software into the media section, then used the media picker within a document type to select that software. A link for the software shows up within a page and then I suppose they thought the media picker was going to magically direct the user to download the software when the link was clicked. All it does is send them to a non-existent url that contains the node id for the media. I know I could probably do something within a template to grab that media id, get the url for that software, and then do a redirect to it, but I wanted to know if their was a more elegant way. 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 22, 2012 @ 22:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Scooter

How many MB is the software you mention? I don't think the media section is neccesarily ideal if it's more than 10-20 MB.

Then I would probably just place the software on the file-system in a folder called "Software" for instance, at the same level as /bin, /umbraco, /media etc. and then either hardcode the link or simply have a textfield in Umbraco to hold an external link for the software.

It is correct that the media picker does not do anything else but return an id for the selected image. If you use XSLT to render the content you would need to use the an extension called GetMedia, which will return the properties of the image.

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

• Scott 69 posts 146 karma points
    May 24, 2012 @ 16:28
    Scott

Currently the media is 28mb. Our content owners are the ones that bundle up the software and it changes on a monthly basis. It is software that is used by a sales team. The hope was that when the software was changed it could be updated completely through the umbraco interface. I'll look at GetMedia. 

Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft