Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jonok 297 posts 658 karma points
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 11:05
    jonok

User permissions on the top level content node

Is there a way to assign/restrict user permissions to the top level content node? I've got 3 sites beneath the content node and I have created a ClientAdmin user type to allow my client to edit/modify all pages beneath these 3 main site nodes. I don't want my client to be able to create/delete/move/sort any of the 'site' nodes. Here is my umbraco structure:

Content
    -Site1
    --Site1Page1
    ---AnotherPageLevel
    --Site1Page2
    --Site1Page3
    -Site2
    -Site3

As I understand, to add a new page under Site1 my client would need to right-click the Site1 node and choose 'create'? At the moment they can right-click on the 'content' node and create any type of document at the 'Site' level which is what I'm trying to avoid. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:04
    Shannon Deminick

You sure can. In the user's application when your editing a user, you can define a start node for them in both the media and content trees.

The easiest way to set permissions on nodes at a granular level, you can use the Permissions editor tree in the user's application. Otherwise, you can right click nodes in the content tree and select the permissions item from the context menu. I think the permissions editor is much easier to use though.

If you turn off 'browse' permissions for a node, then that node will not show up in the tree, nor will any of it's children for that particular user.

'browse' permissions are required for the node to show up in the tree, but they still won't be able to edit it.

Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:25
    jonok

Thats nearly it, but I when I define a start node and log in as the client user, I only see the nodes beneath that one 'site'. I still want Site1, Site2 & Site3 to appear in the tree view on the left, I just don't want any actions to be performed when right clicking on the content folder?

Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:35
    Shannon Deminick

When you assign 'Site1' to user A as their start node, does the tree structure not show up like:

-Site1
    --Site1Page1
    ---AnotherPageLevel
    --Site1Page2
    --Site1Page3

or

-Content
    --Site1Page1
    ---AnotherPageLevel
    --Site1Page2
    --Site1Page3

?

I'm pretty sure i fixed this bug in v4.0 as it should be the first way (IMHO). If it is the 2nd way then i think my bug fix got reverted in v4.x as maybe people thought it was a bug...

Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:40
    jonok

No thats correct Shannon, its appearing the first way, but there is 2 other nodes at the 'site' level that need to be visible in the tree as well eg:

-Site1
    --Site1Page1
    ---AnotherPageLevel
    --Site1Page2
    --Site1Page3
    -Site2 --Site2Page1 --Site2Page2
    -Site3 --etc

Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:40
    jonok

formatting went wrong, its meant to be:

-Site1
    --Site1Page1
    ---AnotherPageLevel
    --Site1Page2
    --Site1Page3
    -Site2 --Site2Page1 --Site2Page2
    -Site3 --etc

Jul 14, 2009 @ 12:45
    Shannon Deminick

ahhh, i think i know what your saying... you want to give someone access to all 3 sites but don't wan't them to see the 'content' node?

If that's the case, best practices i'd say is to put your site nodes in a container at the top (perhaps by client name), this give you a bit more flexibility...

You could then do:

-Client (Only Browse permissions)
    --Site1
    ---Site1Page1
    ----AnotherPageLevel
    ---Site1Page2
    ---Site1Page3
    --Site2 --Site2Page1 --Site2Page2
    --Site3 --etc

Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:07
    jonok

Thanks for the help Shannon, I'll put that extra container in and then I can set that to the client's start node.

Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:13
    jonok

Shannon, 1 more question: now that I have that extra node in there, my default page has disappeared (obviously because its using the container for the default page). Is there a way to set the first node of Site1 so that it is the home page (default.aspx) for the entire umbraco app (or set up a redirect or something)?

Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:26
    jonok

Don't worry about that last question Shannon, I just found the solution for it... 

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/creating-content-folders

Thanks for your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft