Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Taylor 155 posts 353 karma points
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 11:12
    Mike Taylor

SQL timing out when adding a new property to a doctype

I have a site with over 1,000 "Product" nodes, and when I try to add a field to the "Product" doctype, I'm getting a SQL error:

Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The stack trace looks like this:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +404

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning() +412

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1363

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +6368941

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +6370642

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +538

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) +689

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +327

Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +167

umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +150

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteNonQuery]

umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +261

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.ContentType.AddPropertyType(DataTypeDefinition dt, String Alias, String Name) +250

umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.saveProperties(SaveClickEventArgs& e) +357

umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.save_click(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +311

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +187

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +165

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3707

This looks to me like a command timeout (ie timing out when running the actual query) rather than a connection timeout - I've tried tweaking the connection string but nothing seems to be working. I can happily add properties to other doctypes.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mike

• Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    Mar 06, 2012 @ 21:58
    Andrew Waegel

Same problem is happening to me. I've tried increasing all the timeouts in web.config (in the DSN and in <httpRuntime> but it's no help. Adding field types has been slowly getting slower and slower but now it's stopped, and it's a problem.

I'm running Umbraco 4.5.2; will try an update if there's no other suggestions here.

Thanks,

- Andrew

Mar 07, 2012 @ 18:32
    Andrew Waegel

Update - the timeout seems to stem from the versioning process; this site has been up for a while, and we update/republish most content nodes automatically each day with stats from google analytics, thus the number of revisions that use this document type is over 200,000, and I believe that's causing the property insertion to timeout. It also explains why the insertion process has gradually gotten slower.

I'm experimenting with the various techniques (FALM Houskeeping, UnVersion) to see if I can reduce this overhead and get back to a point where I can add new fields.

This seems like something that should be better documented; perhaps I'll take a shot at adding this to the wiki.

• Mike Taylor 155 posts 353 karma points
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 23:13
    Mike Taylor

Andrew ... did you ever come up with a solution to this? Problem is back again, same thing...

Jul 02, 2012 @ 23:47
    Andrew Waegel

Actually I did, have a look here:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/29586-Incredibly-frustrating-time-adding-properties-on-established-sites

Unfortunately (at least from a hassle and change-management viewpoint) it involves modifying the source and replacing a DLL (just one, cms.dll) that comes with the umbraco core distribution.

But if you're up for that, here's what worked for me: In the file /umbraco/cms/businesslogic/ContentType.cs, in the method 'populatePropertyData', I changed this:

SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(
    "insert into cmsPropertyData (contentNodeId, versionId, propertyTypeId) select contentId, versionId, @propertyTypeId
    from cmsContent inner join cmsContentVersion on cmsContent.nodeId = cmsContentVersion.contentId
    where contentType = @contentTypeId",
      SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@propertyTypeId", pt.Id),
      SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@contentTypeId", contentTypeId));

to this:

// sql command
    SqlConnection scx = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["umbracoDbDSN"]);
    scx.Open();
    SqlCommand scm = new SqlCommand();
    scm.Connection = scx;
    scm.CommandText = @"
        insert into cmsPropertyData (contentNodeId, versionId, propertyTypeId)
        select contentId, versionId, @propertyTypeId
        from cmsContent
        inner join cmsContentVersion on cmsContent.nodeId = cmsContentVersion.contentId
        where contentType = @contentTypeId         
    ";
    scm.Parameters.AddWithValue("@propertyTypeId", pt.Id);
    scm.Parameters.AddWithValue("@contentTypeId", contentTypeId);
    scm.ExecuteNonQuery();

...which allowed me to add properties to my nodes successfully (provided you increase the DNS timeout in web.config as mentioned earlier). Apparently ExecuteNonQuery() has some sort of baked-in timeout. As usual YMMV, make backups, try on a development server first, etc.

• fabrice 104 posts 227 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 09:56
    fabrice

Hello,

For an Sql server database, it seems for me that SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery calls umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteNonQuery

which calls Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery like this :

SH.ExecuteNonQuery(ConnectionString, CommandType.Text, commandText, parameters);

and the code of this last ExecuteNonQuery is :

using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(connectionString))
          {
            connection.Open();
            return SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(connection, commandType, commandText, commandParameters);
          }

So if you pass a correct timeout in the connection string in the web.config, it should be ok I guess.

Aug 09, 2012 @ 18:03
    Andrew Waegel

@fabrice I tried that:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.\SQLEXPRESS;database=my_db;user id=my_login;password=my_pass;timeout=6000" />

...but it didn't seem to have any impact on timeout of the actual query. This stackoverflow post talks about connection timeout vs. query timeout; I don't know if that's exactly what's going on here but it sounds right:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2265733/connection-timeout-property-in-connection-string-ignored

Aug 10, 2012 @ 08:22
    fabrice

@Andrew, ok thanks I missed that part.

I found a thread that explains the difference between sqlconnection and sqlcommand timeout.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/847264/what-is-the-difference-between-sqlcommand-commandtimeout-and-sqlconnection-conne

So with Umbraco, you're right,  it seems that doesn't help to much to add a timeout in the connection string because it will just affect the sqlconnection.

Maybe a way would be to add a new key in appSettings, with the CommandTimeout and change umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteNonQuery instead of /umbraco/cms/businesslogic/ContentType.cs, in the method 'populatePropertyData

Maybe we should contact the Umbraco super starts to know what they think about it...

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 14:12
    Dan

I've literally come up against the same issue now.  So you guys conclude there's no way around it apart from to modify the core?

Aug 13, 2012 @ 14:35
    Dan

Just to update this, I found an issue raised for this on codeplex (http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/23075) but for some reason it has been closed.  I'm currently trying to find out why it's been closed when seemingly the issue still affects the latest version of Umbraco.  I'll report back here if/when I find anything but in the meantime a similar thing has been raised as a separate issue on codeplex and it is still open, so please vote for this issue if you'd like to see it fixed.

Aug 13, 2012 @ 14:40
    fabrice

Thanks ! i'll vote for it :)

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 21:47
    Simon steed

Cheers guys, I hit it on a major multi site domain and it's pretty consistent depending upon how much data we are updating. Hopefully it will be fixed for 4.9 (according to Sebastian @cultiv) but it's going to be a hard one for them to debug

Si

Aug 14, 2012 @ 15:19
    Dan

Hi Simon,

Curious, have you tried the fix suggested earlier in the thread (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/27003-SQL-timing-out-when-adding-a-new-property-to-a-doctype#comment121171).  I did, only I also added an explicit timeout (scm.CommandTimeout = 600) in there too, and it worked for me.  I know it's a core hack, but if we can nail this as the definitive solution then that's a great thing.

Cheers

Aug 14, 2012 @ 15:23
    Simon steed

Hi Dan

Not yet but will be trying it soon, back onto the project with all the issues shortly so will grab 4.7.2 code and recompile it to see if that fixes it - easy for the core team to add if it does

Si

Aug 16, 2012 @ 13:44
    Dan

So the umbraco bug tracking has been migrated from Codeplex to YouTrack: http://issues.umbraco.org.  Can anyone spot this issue on YouTrack as I can't (searched for 'sql' and 'timeout' but it didn't come up - perhaps it's tagged as something else)?

Aug 17, 2012 @ 09:25
    Simon steed

Thats an arse, nothing like good communication eh, mind you CG12 was a bit like that. I guess it will need adding again to their other tracker and hope it gets picked up!

Aug 18, 2012 @ 01:47
    Andrew Waegel

I've added this to the issues bug tracker:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-276

Vote it up!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 20, 2012 @ 11:13
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Sorry for the confusion, we were planning to migrate the Codeplex issues sooner, but unfortunately ran into problems which I was only able to fix yesterday.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-456 is the original Codeplex issue and I've marked the new one as duplicate. :-)

Aug 20, 2012 @ 11:28
    Dan

Thanks Sebastiaan.  To add to the confusion, I think the link in your post above should have been http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-623 as http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-456 is something very different.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 20, 2012 @ 11:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Whoops, you are absolutely right Dan, must've copied and pasted the wrong one!

Aug 20, 2012 @ 11:44
    Dan

No probs - thanks for updating this and pointing us to the right place on the new tracker.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft