dk content
    en content
    website.fi
    fi content
    en content
    website.se
    se content
    en content

all of the "en content"s are different as they are relevant to the locale.

My question is really what's the best way to approach this?

I have seen examples where a copy is taken of one root node and another is created as a separate tree to use for the other language branch. I am cool with this approach, but would that not mean that if I wanted to manage all of the above in 1 umbraco instance i would need 7 roots?

guessing I would set up the headers for example:

website.dk/dk
    website.dk/en

• tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Nov 16, 2011 @ 13:31
    tentonipete

Have I posted this in the wrong place? Is that why there are no replies? Or is this just a really difficult question?!

• Adam Jenkin 71 posts 226 karma points
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 16:10
    Adam Jenkin

Hi guys,

I’m following this up with Joel as well now. I think I have come up with an solution which involves URL rewriting to achieve the above. 

In Umbraco, we plan on creating two websites (two homepage nodes at root level). On each node, the following would be configured:

name: website.dk [dk]

- manage hostname : dk.website.dk - language : danish

name: website.dk [en]

- manage hostname : en.website.dk - language : english

Because Umbraco only works with mapping a single hostname to one lanauge (and doesn’t take any form of path prefixing), we plan on configuring two IIS rewrite rules for the following:

1. Outbound rule - Change links on the Umbraco generated pages from dk.website.dk to website.dk/dk.
    2. Inbound rule - Change links from website.dk/dk to dk.website.dk for Umbraco to understand.

We are favouring this approach over having a single homepage node with en/fi sub folders as the language (set on the manage hostnames) can only be set at a domain level.

Has anybody either implemented an umbraco setup like this or can foresee any issues with this?

• tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 13:59
    tentonipete

The way we finally approached this without the URL rewriting mentioned above was by changing the current thread culture based on a url segment. We look at the current request url and change the culture of the current thread accordingly. The reason we needed to do this is because of the 1-to-1 relationship between hostnames and cultures when we needed multiple cultures per hostname.

e.g. http://website.dk/en/rest-of-the-url.aspx would execute in en-GB culture because of the "en" in the url.

For more info on overriding current culture see here:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/11342-Umbraco-overriding-SystemThreadingThreadCurrentThreadCurrentCulture

• Ryan 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 03, 2012 @ 14:55
    Ryan

I would like to go with the below post:

Code:

Content   
      |-- en (english)   
      |   |-- Pages...   
      |-- es (spanish)   
      |   |-- Pages...   
      |-- dk (danish)   
      |   |-- Pages...   
      |-- jp (japanese)   
          |-- Pages... 

Unless of course you want to inherit some values from the top "site" node. It depends a bit on whether you have a domain for each language, or if they should work as sub folders? 

But yes, you would have to maintain your sites separately. This would be the best case for most websites since eventually the language version will not be identical after all, even though the customer thinks so to begin with.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft