Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason N 55 posts 79 karma points
    Jul 11, 2011 @ 17:14
    Jason N

umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath not working (randomly)

Under the Content folder, I have a single document called My Website which represents the root and home page of my website.  Below it are all other pages.  To make sure that my-webiste/ isn't included in the document url, I've set umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath to true.  This works for a while and then mysteriously, and only for some urls, my-website/ is output in the url from the NiceUrl call.  This wouldn't be so bad if when the user clicks on the link they didn't get a 404.  Re-publishing the website seems to fix the problem temporarily but then after an hour or two the problem creeps back.  I've seen the problem mentioned in the forums but no satisfactory explanation or solution.  I'm using Umbraco 4.7.  Is there something I may have setup incorrectly?   If it's a bug, can we expect a fix soon?

Thank you

• Chris Parkinson 39 posts 73 karma points
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:35
    Chris Parkinson

I'm getting the exact same issue on one of my pages in Umbraco 4.7. It intermittently keeps prepending 'home' to the url - resulting in a 404 error. This is only happening on one page. What's bizarre is that I've actually deleted the page and recreated it. 

The only thing different I am doing in this page is calling umbraco.library.NiceUrlFullPath. 

Republishing temporarily fixes the url, but it seems to revert back to 'home' although it's very difficult to recreate.

Any help would be appreciated.

• chris vdP 13 posts 35 karma points
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 18:35
    chris vdP

I am also having the same issue on multiple sites with 4.7 that use the same base package and call NiceUrl, see below.

I also access the page using EyeCatch RSS which makes umbraco.library:NiceUrlFullPath calls

Also posted this question on StackOverflow about a month ago, with no answer. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7197503/umbraco-urls-displaying-home-node-in-one-node-sometimes

DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [ ENTITY nbsp ""> ]>
    <xsl:stylesheet 
      version="1.0" 
      xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" 
      xmlns:msxml="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" 
      xmlns:umbraco.library="urn:umbraco.library" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltCommon="urn:Exslt.ExsltCommon" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes="urn:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltMath="urn:Exslt.ExsltMath" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions="urn:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltStrings="urn:Exslt.ExsltStrings" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltSets="urn:Exslt.ExsltSets" 
      exclude-result-prefixes="msxml umbraco.library Exslt.ExsltCommon Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes Exslt.ExsltMath Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions Exslt.ExsltStrings Exslt.ExsltSets ">

<xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

<xsl:param name="currentPage"/>
        <xsl:variable name="maxItems" select="/macro/maxItems" />
    <xsl:template match="/">

<ul class='newsList'>
    <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/* [@isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1']">

<xsl:if test="position() >
  • chris vdP 13 posts 35 karma points
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 19:05
    chris vdP

So I changed the umbraco.library:NiceUrlFullPath to umbraco.library:NiceUrl calls and everything seems to be better. I haven't had a node revert back to having /home/ in it's URL yet.

Defenatly seems to be a bug in umbraco.library:NiceUrlFullPath

• Jason N 55 posts 79 karma points
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 16:16
    Jason N

I'm still seeing this bug crop up whether I'm using Url, NiceUrl, or NiceUrlFullPath.  Clients are getting irritated and it's making Umbraco look bad to my boss.  I upgraded to 4.7.1 hoping it would be fixed but no such luck.  Please fix in 4.7.2. 

Thanks

• Adam 14 posts 34 karma points
    Jan 16, 2012 @ 02:06
    Adam

We recently came across this problem also. The "Link to document" included the /home path and any links resulting from NiceUrl or NiceUrlFullPath included the /home path.

Our testing showed that if we checked the "Hide from Navigation" box on the Home node this no longer appeared in the path. Pbulish the home node, and also publish any other nodes which are being affected to clear the 'umbraco caching' causing the issue to persist.

Cheers

• Istvan Pszota 59 posts 191 karma points
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 20:42
    Istvan Pszota

Any solution for this?

I'm using 4.7.2 but the issue still exists... :(

Thanks!

• Essy 74 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 25, 2012 @ 13:34
    Essy

I have this problem too (in 4.7.2) but I think it is to do with the creation of the url and not NiceURL because (in my case anyway) the "Link to document" on the Properties tab of the badly linked page(s) also shows the root node.

A temporary fix seems to be to re-publish any page which has the problem and the "home" node disappears from the URL.

This fix seems to also work if you Publish an ancestor node and select to publish all children BUT doing a global publish from the root node doesn't do the fix.

So my workaround is to go through every child of the root and re-publish with children whenever I see the problem occur.

Does anyone know if it got fixed in 4.8?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 12:16
    Jeavon Leopold

I have just observed this strange behavoir for the first time in a Umbraco 4.9 installation. I have created a bug report at http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1058 Please vote if you would like to see this issue addressed. 

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 03:05
    Funka!

Ugh, just did a fresh 4.9.0 install (SQL Server 2008) and am getting this problem. Although for me, it's not random, it's quite consistent.  Cannot access the root of the domain because I get a 404.  I have to go to www.example.com/home which is not what I want!

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 03:12
    Funka!

Oh, I think the problem is because I published a sibling to my homepage (i.e., a node at the same "level" which sits under/after the homepage), which appears to have taken over "/" as its URL. Even though we have homepage as the first node in the tree and this other node appearing second, I think this is related to the agonizing sort bug U4-888?

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 12:41
    Stephen

See my comments on U4-888 and U4-1058. We're refactoring that part heavily in 4.10 and it should now at least produce a consistent behavior.

The node that answers to "/" will be the first node in the tree ie the one with the lowest @sortOrder value.

That being said, when you do

Home
    Page 1
    Page 2

With hideTopLevelNodeFromPath, the urls are /home, /page-1 and /page-2. The fact that url "/" also routes to Home is something that we cannot break but that really is an accident. In 4.10 NiceUrl will return /home as the url for node Home.

The correct way to setup the website should be:

Home
    - Page 1
    - Page 2

with hideTopLevelNodeFromPath set to true.

That being said, should you want to keep the former structure, 4.10 should guarantee that at least url "/" always route to Home, provided it remains on top of the tree.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft