Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Florent 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 12:11
    Florent

Website separation

Hi!

Actually I host some clients on a SharePoint server (~30 websites) and I would like to migrate those websites on Umbraco.

Some website don't need users because it's just a "showcase website" (I think this is the right expression?) and others websites just need some users like editors, etc.

In Umbraco, I can separate those websites, it would be easy - I think - but the problem is: Can I do the same with users? The answer is yes and no. I can assign some users to a website and others users to another, great, same thing with administrators. But... administrators can see all the users on all websites. :(

This problem was already post here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/features/9136-Member-Groups-and-User-Groups-Finer-Control

So, to bypass this problem, I have 2 solutions:

• I put all the clients who just need a "showcase website" on the same umbraco installation. For others I put them on separate installation and database
    • I put all of them in the same installation/database and I don't give them the administrator right. If they want a new user, they have to contact me.

What do you think? Did you already meet the same case?

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 14:12
    Magnus Eriksson

I like to keep my clients separate so I would give each client their separate Umbraco installation. That way it would be much easier for them if they wanted to hire someone else to develop their site, change hosting partner, do an upgrade etc...

Showcase site, is that kind of like a demo site?

Regards,
    Magnus

Jun 16, 2011 @ 10:54
    Florent

Hi,

Yea that's probably the best solution, except if it's host on azure. :( 'cause one 1GB database = $9.99, so 30 db = ~$300/month and I would like to minimize my cost.

If I don't give the administrator right and put them in the same installation, I just keep one database of 10GB (It would be sufficient) and it's "just" $75.

And showcase site (English is not my first language as you can see :)) is not like demo site. On the website you show your company info with some text, images and a contact form, a basic static (mostly) website.

Thanks.

Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:09
    Florent

I found this post : http://waacceleratorumbraco.codeplex.com/discussions/254223 but it doesn't help me about the users separation. :/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft