Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    May 27, 2009 @ 16:18
    Jesper Ordrup

User cant login to backend

Hi all,

I've been logging in many times before. Suddenly I cant login with the admin user. When I try to login I just get the user login prompt.

It's a clean 4.01 solution and it uses default hashing.

I've tried the following:

* changed the password (via db) to an empty one - no luck
    * removed encryption and entered a clean text password - no luck ...

What else can cause this?

Sidenode/wishlist for user login dialog:

* forgot your password feature?
    * feedback / error message
    * openID option :-)

/Jesper

• Neil Fenwick 86 posts 63 karma points
    May 27, 2009 @ 16:52
    Neil Fenwick

Check the Event Viewer logs to make sure there's no ASP.NET exceptions recorded (the interface might be supressing them)...
    Otherwise UmbracoLog table?

Normally when that happens to me for custom apps, I check that the AutoEventWireup is working, but I'm guessing you've not modified anything

May 27, 2009 @ 17:02
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Neil,

Thanks!!

Eventlog is empty and umbracoLog says:

Error

At /umbraco/login.aspx?redir=%2fumbraco%2fumbraco.aspx (Referred by:/umbraco/login.aspx?redir=/umbraco/umbraco.aspx):

Not much to do I guess.

Thx
    Jesper

• Kjeldsen 11 posts 25 karma points
    May 27, 2009 @ 17:49
    Kjeldsen

Hi Jesper,

I've experienced something similar (or, I just forgot my password...dont know really :)).

I had two sites, though, so I basically copied the hashed password from one site to another, and that worked for me with the admin user.

Anders Kjeldsen

May 27, 2009 @ 18:48
    Jesper Ordrup

Anders ... you are the hero of the day. Thanks. This worked for me.

As you I'm a bit confused. I'm 99% sure that I've not changed the password. But another thing is that I would have guessed that changing the password encryption to none (removing the atribute from the provider) and changing the password to "test" should have allowed me to login. But it didn't.

But thanks again, hero!

Jesper

• Kjeldsen 11 posts 25 karma points
    May 28, 2009 @ 00:35
    Kjeldsen

Glad I could help.

Take care :)

• Sharon Weiter 56 posts 20 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 18:46
    Sharon Weiter

I am having a similar problem - only worse.

I built a site. The client has admin access and has disabled all users except Admin and now (suddenly) the Admin login is not working!

Is there a back door to get into the umbraco passwords and see what they are?

It appears the only login is not working.

• Chris Larson 48 posts 63 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 19:04
    Chris Larson

Sharon - you can display the passwords but they are stored in a hashed format. However.... there is a sneaky way to add a new user to allow you access to reset/reactivate users through T-SQL.

First, execute the following T-SQL statement from SSMS (or whatever sql management tool you are using):

INSERT INTO umbracoUser (userDisabled, userNoConsole, userType, startStructureID, startMediaID, userName, userLogin, userPassword, userEmail, userLanguage, defaultToLiveEditing) OUTPUT INSERTED.ID VALUES (0,0,1,-1,-1,'backdoor','backdoor','9stcVNDQg1teOpzoFK5LPNGWNO0=','','en',0)

This will return a user id that was newly created that is necessary for the next step. Execute the following T-SQL to provide this temporary user with access to the site, substituting the return value from the T-SQL above for the <userid> variable below.

INSERT INTO umbracoUser2App ([user], app) VALUES (<userid>,'users')

Then, log in to umbraco using the following:

username: backdoor
    password: backdoor

This will give you access to the Users section of the umbraco back end and allow you to fix login access.

Jun 24, 2009 @ 19:36
    Chris Larson

Follow-up note: Make sure you disable the temporary user when you are done.

Jun 24, 2009 @ 19:42
    Sharon Weiter

Suppose I am not using any sql management tool?

Jun 24, 2009 @ 19:49
    Sharon Weiter

Chris,

I may need to find someone who does sql to handle this.

BTW: you have Karma 20 what does that mean. I have it too.

• Jamie Pollock 27 posts 102 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 21:03
    Jamie Pollock

(Quote: Sharon Weiter): BTW: you have Karma 20 what does that mean. I have it too.

In no way to hijack the topic or to drag it off in another direction, karma is the new recognition system that was announced and released on CodeGarden '09 - Day 1. It's an overall rating system for your our.umbraco.org good deeds; adding packages, helping people out in the forum by making helpful suggestions or even posting a solution to the OP's problem.

Jun 24, 2009 @ 21:31
    Chris Larson

Sharon - if you have FTP access to the site I can put together a quick script that will do this for you. You can email me at chris.larson (at) wicatech (dot) com and I can send you the necessary pages you would need to upload and execute that will take care of it through a URL rather than some SQL manager.

Jun 24, 2009 @ 22:01
    Chris Larson

Sharon - Revised, I have included this tool on my Project page here:  http://our.umbraco.org/projects/wica-extensions-for-umbraco

Instructions

1) Download the zip file and unzip to your local system
    2) Upload the two pages to the "umbraco" directory of the website
    3) Launch the page in your website "http://www.yoursitehere.com/umbraco/umbBackDoorHack_WICATech.aspx"
    4) Click the only button on the page
    5) Navigate to your umbraco login page and log in using the default admin|admin login information.
    6) Reset the admin password
    7) Delete the two pages from the umbraco directory to eliminate the security hole this puts on the site.

PS: Don't forget to smack the guy who screwed up the site in the first place!!!

• Thor Madsen-Holm 82 posts 212 karma points c-trib
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 14:05
    Thor Madsen-Holm

I am having a similar problem. Although it seems that it is not the password that is the problem. 

The site has 3 user besides the admin user. Suddenly the client contacted me and told that they could not log in with any of their users. 
    So i tried to log in with the admin user. When i tried to do that i got a screen with the following text: An error occurred while processing your request.

The url looked like this afterwards: domainname.dk/umbraco/plugins/poetpatcher/CustomError.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/umbraco/umbraco.aspx

I took a look in the DB in the umbracolog table. Where this error was logged: 

At /umbraco/umbraco.aspx (Referred by: domainname.dk/umbraco/login.aspx?redir=/umbraco/umbraco.aspx): System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action' threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Utils.TypeFinder.FindClassesOfType[T](Boolean useSeperateAppDomain)

at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action.RegisterIActions()

at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action..cctor()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action.GetJavaScriptFileReferences()

at umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.RenderActionJS()

at umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? 
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/Thor

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 21:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thor

Which version of Umbraco is it? And does it have the vulnerability patch installed? (Don't know if it could have something to do with that, but asking since it appeared on this page http://umbraco.org/follow-us/blog-archive/2010/9/20/important-security-hole-in-aspnet-and-how-to-secure-your-installation, where Ross Allan writes something about an error like the one you mention)...

/Jan

• Thor Madsen-Holm 82 posts 212 karma points c-trib
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 22:08
    Thor Madsen-Holm

Hey Jan, 

Thank your for your reply. I think it's 4.1 and it's not patched as far as i know. So it seems that could be the problem. I will have a closer look tomorrow.

/Thor

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft