Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott 69 posts 146 karma points
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 22:04
    Scott

Does an administrator type have access to everything

We have recently receieved a site built around umbraco (4.5.2) from a contractor. We are taking over full responsibility for it, and I'm trying to figure out how the administrator user type works. Me and one other person in my group were given new accounts in umbraco, to the already existing list of developers, and we were given the admin type of "Administrator". But for some reason when navigating through the Content section in the content tree, I get "The current user doesn't have permissions to edit this document. Please contact the system administrator." Meanwhile, my co-worker is able to get access to everything. Granting me access at each node level (right click the node, select permissions, and then checking all the boxes) solves the problem, but why would he be allowed in an not me? Out of curiosity I looked at the umbracouser2nodepermission table. Neither of us had anything listed in there for our user ids at first, but then as my user was granted at each node level I, records showed up for me, as expceted. But as mentioned, there's nothing in there for him. I thought there might even bee some global record i.e. userid "123" has access to "*" . But no. Also looking at the umbracoUser table, comparing our 2 accounts, they are identical with the exception of id,username,userLogin,password,email. 

Anyway, at the moment I'm having difficulty helping the developers when I cant even see the content tree.

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 22:16
    Lennart Stoop

That's odd. Just thinking out loud here:

1) Do both user accounts have exactly the same settings? (e.g. start node in content, sections, content channel, ..)

2) Are there any 3rd party packages installed that might involve user management?

Mar 11, 2011 @ 14:28
    Scott

From what I can tell the accounts are identical. I'm looking directly in the umbracouser database. As far as packages installed, there isnt anything for user administration. We have:

countour (which currently shows me checked for everything in the contour user administration) 

uComponent

CmsImport

FamFamFam Icon Package

XLSTsearch Runway Module

Very strange.

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Mar 11, 2011 @ 16:27
    Lennart Stoop

Hmm, I don't think any of those packages are anyhow related to user management.

Have you compared the 2 accounts in the user interface?

I'm not sure if any of these settings are stored outside of the umbracouser table.

Mar 21, 2011 @ 20:09
    Scott

Yeah they're basically identical, with the exception of username display name, password etc. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft