Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Oluwole Kolawole 32 posts 53 karma points
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 00:06
    Oluwole Kolawole

No media types available

Hi everyone,

I don't have any media types available when I right-click and select create on the Media node. As a result I can't create a folder and can't upload any images.

What might the problem be? Anyone?

Regards.

Wole.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 01:13
    Sascha Wolter

Have a look in Settings -> Media Types. Are there any in there? 

If not then somebody must have deleted the default File, Folder and Image. Create your own then and you are ready to go, check another Umbraco installation (or even set up a new one) for fields used etc.

Hope that helps,

Sascha

Feb 28, 2011 @ 14:24
    Oluwole Kolawole

Hi Sascha,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any Media Types in Settings!! I did install and then uninstall a starter pack (I think it was the business one), could that have deleted these Media Types?

What's the easiest way of creating a new, separate, Umbraco installation since the Windows Platform Installer won't allow a new installation if it finds one on the system already?

Thanks.

Wole.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 18:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Oluwole

I think the most easy way is to make an installation using the binaries from http://umbraco.codeplex.com/

Copy the files from the zip file into the folder you want to point your IIS site to.

When you setup the site, name it something like myumbracosite.local and point it to the folder containing the files. Go to the app pool settings and make sure it's running .NET framework 4 (If you're installing 4.5 > and in integrated mode.

Make sure to add the host header to your hosts file.

On the folder containing your Umbraco files make sure to set proper permissions for network service and iusr (On local installs I normally just give them full access).

Connect to MSSQL server express using the MSSQL manager tool and create a new database. Once the database has been created you need to create a new login under "Security"-"login". When you create the new user, you should provide a password. Then you must map it to the database you wish to access with it.

When you're mapping the user check all of the possible fields except the "db_denydatareader" and the "db_denydatawriter" ones. Leave those unchecked.

I hope this makes sense.

/Jan

Mar 08, 2011 @ 18:59
    Oluwole Kolawole

Thanks Sascha and Jan, apologies for not responding sooner.

I did a fresh install and the media types were now there, so I re-created them on the dodgy install using the clean install as a guide, and all is now well.

To install a new instance, I bypassed the Platform Installer, downloaded the binaries from CodePlex then used WebMatrix to create a site from a folder (I don't have full blown IIS, I'm using IIS Express on a Windows 7 box). There are possibly better ways of doing it, but this worked for me.

Cheers,
    Wole.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 21:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Wole

Thanks for sharing you solution - maybe others can benefit from it later on :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft