Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ulla Skaanning 67 posts 97 karma points
    Oct 03, 2010 @ 13:00
    Ulla Skaanning

Cyrillic letters turn into '???' when entered into textstring etc.

Hi

I have build at multilingual site which must accomodate Danish, english and russian. The site is build with 3 root nodes (DK, EN, RU) and that alle works fine.

When i make dictionary items with cyrillic letters for the russion section this all works fine, but when i try to make nodes with cyrillic names, or enter cyrillic letters into a 'textstring' field, Umbraco turns these letters into questions marks once I've saved and published the content?

I don't know what is wrong here, and honestly I have no idea where to start looking for the solution so any help would be very much apprecieated.

Cheers

Ulla

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 04, 2010 @ 11:29
    Ismail Mayat

Ulla,

I take the content in the backend renders fine?  In your template for cryllic pages what do you have for 

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> 

im not sure if the charset value has to be something different?

Regards

Ismail

• Gal Nitzan 50 posts 164 karma points
    Oct 04, 2010 @ 14:54
    Gal Nitzan

What database are you using?

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 05, 2010 @ 12:28
    Tim

I don't think you'd want cyrillic in node names, as the urls are generated from the names and you can't have cyrillic in a valid url (at least at the moment, this is changing).

Are the characters changing on the front end or the back end, or both?

Oct 06, 2010 @ 17:39
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi all

thanks for your replies.

First of all - the problem occurs both frontend and backend.

my charset line uses this:  meta http-equiv="Content-Type"   content="text/html;  charset=iso-8859-1"

I have also tryed changing it to UTF-8, but it didn't resolve the problem.However, when I made this change it turned all the cyrillic letters in my dictionary items into ?????? as well - but they seem to work fine with my current charset line.

I have setup a menu that uses a name from a textstring to render the menu frontend. I want to be able to type in a name using cyrillic letters and thus have a russian menu. My goal is to avoid having cyrillic nodenames by using this approach. 

The problem also occurs if i enter cyrillic letters into a richtext editor field and publish.

I'm using a MySql database.

I can show you some of my code if you want - but I don't know what would be helpfull :)

Cheers

Oct 06, 2010 @ 23:27
    Gal Nitzan

I believe you are not using latest version 4.5.2, am I correct?

If a previous version to 4.5.2 I would recomend you to upgrade because this problem is solved in that version.

Let me know if you cant upgrade.

Gal.

Oct 07, 2010 @ 18:22
    Ulla Skaanning

Yes, The sites are running in v 4.0.4.1

One of the affected sites is live already so I cannot upgrade, because I do not have the possibility to make a testing site for it :(

The other site is not live yet - but I'm not too comfortable about upgrading at this stage, because I haven't tried it before :S

Is there any other option?

Oct 07, 2010 @ 21:00
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 17:47
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi Gal

Thanks for the suggestion :) however...

I tried the MySQL fix above, and it seems to have solved the problem for the textstring input in the backend, but not the Richtexteditor, and not for the frontand at all :(

I'm a bit at a loss here ??

Oct 08, 2010 @ 18:35
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi

Now i changes the TidyCharEncoding line in the UmbracoSettings.config file into this:

TidyCharEncoding>ASCII

And now the content fromt the richtext editor shows up correctly both frontend and backend???

Isn't it supposed to work the other way around?!?!

I'm utterly puzzled....

Oct 09, 2010 @ 02:02
    Gal Nitzan

Hey Ulla,

I agree, totally crazy and mostly because this should all be done "under the hood" @ the database layer which we have no control unless you want to build everything yourself ughhh.

Today I had the same problem on another machine I installed a few days ago with 4.5.2 without the "Charset=utf8". However it started to give me those dreadful ???? marks so I returned the  "Charset=utf8".

Just to be on the safe side I did the following:
    Dropped all tables
    Deleted all website older content
    extracted 4.5.2_.net 3.5 to site folder
    re-hanged permissions for network service
    in MySql client ran the following statement
    "alter database XYZ character set utf8"
    ran the installation /umbraco/install/
    added "Charset=utf8" to connection string and that is it

All is working properly with hebrew letters including all content page names.

created a page for you with a russian page name :) to show it should work without any problems

HTH,

Gal

Oct 09, 2010 @ 02:07
    Gal Nitzan

I just noticed that the editor didn't add the url as it should :(

so here it is

http://www.beyondo.co.il/.aspx

and again in a code paragraph :)

http://www.beyondo.co.il/.aspx

and one more thing, I never changed any of the web.config utf-8 setting so I suggest don't do that unless you know the effect...

Gal

Oct 09, 2010 @ 02:14
    Gal Nitzan

ha ha ha this forum's editor will not accept UTF-8 characters, so... so... sad.

Any way, I created a link on my dev site here: http://www.beyondo.co.il/

there is a link for Ulla :)

Gal.

Oct 09, 2010 @ 18:49
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi Gal

Do you think that approach would be sufficient with my version of Umbraco?

And how can i do it so I keep my templates, content etc. ??

I'm sorry if I'm a little slow to understand this, but I have very little experience with the 'backend' part of this - I'm really only experienced with the frontend programming that has to do with the design part - so it's all very new to me.

And thank you very much for helping, it's needed ;)

Cheers :)

Oct 09, 2010 @ 19:15
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi Gal

Do you think that approach would be sufficient with my version of Umbraco?

And how can i do it so I keep my templates, content etc. ??

I tried this:"alter database XYZ character set utf8" and have checked that all my files are et to utf-8 - but Still doesn't work.

I'm sorry if I'm a little slow to understand this, but I have very little experience with the 'backend' part of this - I'm really only experienced with the frontend programming that has to do with the design part - so it's all very new to me.

And thank you very much for helping, it's needed ;)

Cheers :)

Oct 09, 2010 @ 22:12
    Gal Nitzan

Did you add the "Charset=utf8" to your connection string?

If you did all we talked about and you still unable to use utf8 than I think I run out of options.

I believe that you should be able to use utf-8 without any problems but when you get those question marks it means you are not using utf8 for sure.

Just for the sake of "voodoo" try to remove that charset and stop and start your iis.

try to add a content node with a name in russian or some other foreign language.

reload the nodes and see if it worked.

If not than put the charset value again than restart your iis and try again.

Try also to check your logs i.e. "select LOGCOMMENT from umbracolog" and see if enything is relevant.

HTH,

Gal.

• Bilal Isa 60 posts 76 karma points
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 05:33
    Bilal Isa

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

I tried all the hints above, but textstring properties are still showing up as question marks in the frontend. The values in the backend er correct.

Please any help is appreciated.

Bilal 

Jan 21, 2011 @ 20:34
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi Bilal 

I solved the problem by upgrading to a newer version of Umbraco - version 4.5.2 i believe.

However it turned out that using cyrillic letters in the nodenames is a NO GO.

So I reconstructed my menues a bit:

1. For each page on the website a made a field in the document type called "displayName" - it's just a textstring, and it's mandatory.
    2. This field (displayName) is used in the menus instead of the nodename.
    This way the nodenames can be written in english so it does not contain problematic characters.
    I hope this was helpfull
    // Ulla

Jan 21, 2011 @ 20:36
    Bilal Isa

Hi Ulla

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing the same as you :)

/Bilal

Jan 23, 2011 @ 05:37
    Gal Nitzan

Hi,

I'm also using the 4.5.2 version. I had to remove the charset=utf8, however

I have no problem setting the node name to cyrillik.

This is a site in construction: http://www.blanche.co.il/ru/.aspx

Gal

Jan 24, 2011 @ 21:53
    Bilal Isa

Hi Gal,

I'm having the same problem with displaying arabic content from a rich editor property in the frontend and in the umbraco xml cache in Umbraco version 4.5.2. It is strange because I did test after I installed it and the test was succesfull. But now suddenly it has stopped working. Did you encounter any similar problems with Hebrew or Russian?

/Bilal 

Jan 25, 2011 @ 06:48
    Gal Nitzan

Hey Bilal,

Actualy, I do not use the RT editor at all. It just break all the layout when I paste html to it, so I stopped using it, and I use a simple editor - data type. I do all the editing outside :(.

Other than the aforementioned problem (charset=utf8) for the mysql db (which seems to be solved in 4.5.2-charset=utf8 is not needed anymore) I never had any problems with Hebrew or any other language you can see another multi lang site->http://lang.meuhedet.co.il/ still under construction :).

Not much help on this I'm afraid.

Gal.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft