Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luuk Krijnen 12 posts 66 karma points
    Oct 09, 2014 @ 10:26
    Luuk Krijnen

Failed to login after upgrade 6.1.6 to 6.2.4

Hi All,

after upgrading Umbraco 6.1.6 to 6.2.4 I'm unable to login. Even after a password hash reset to "default" stil not able to login. I tried this in a test environment were i was able to login before the upgrade. I upgraded using nuget (and manually copied the Install folder from the full package).

What could possibly go wrong. I tried restoring the DB to the 6.1.6 version and upgraded again but without solving the problem.

Kind regards, Luuk Krijnen

• Amalie Wowern 144 posts 273 karma points c-trib
    Oct 09, 2014 @ 11:00
    Amalie Wowern

Does the site work properly?

is the sql connection correct? Most of the times i can't login in a umbraco site is because the sql connection is not set up properly and therefore it's not possible for Umbraco to find the user.

Oct 09, 2014 @ 11:41
    Luuk Krijnen

Upgrading went fine so the SQL connection must work properly. Even when I start the SQL Profiler I see a select query for the right user.

• Damian Green 452 posts 1433 karma points
    Oct 09, 2014 @ 11:45
    Damian Green

But can you browse the site?

Oct 14, 2014 @ 20:03
    Luuk Krijnen

Yes i could browse the site. Still don't know what went wrong but after a complete retry for both site as database all is fine.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 14, 2014 @ 20:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Luuk

Happy to hear you got it all working again - Was you by any chance logged on a VPN connection?

/Jan

Oct 14, 2014 @ 21:32
    Luuk Krijnen

Hi Jan,

it could be, not sure, but i'm connected with various VPN connections all the time. None of the are relevant to the Umbraco site though.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 15, 2014 @ 19:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Luuk

Ok, then that could perhaps be the issue.

I can't remember the scenario exactly but at my previous job I had an issue logging into Umbraco, which happened each time I had used a VPN connection - Even though the connection had nothing to do with Umbraco or the Umbraco site.

Sometimes I had to uninstall the VPN connection and reboot my machine. Not sure why...just experienced that it messed things up for some reason.

/Jan

• David Greasley 15 posts 97 karma points
    Oct 22, 2014 @ 11:49
    David Greasley

I have just performed an upgrade from v6.1.6 to v6.2.4 as well and am having exactly the same problem. 

I can view the site fine but I cannot log in to the back end. What exactly did you do to fix your issue?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 22, 2014 @ 12:06
    Dennis Aaen

Hi David,

Maybe this is a long shot, but if you have access to the database, the try to find the umbracoUser table, find the user that you are trying to login with and see if the field userNoConsole is True or 1 if this is this case, then you must update to False or 0 and recycle app pool.

Hope this help,

/Dennis

Oct 22, 2014 @ 12:08
    David Greasley

Hi Dennis,

I do have access to the database and all seems OK, my user is not disabled and is userNoConsole is set to false. 

I have attempted to reset the password using a hash of the word default I found on another thread to no avail as well.

Oct 22, 2014 @ 13:06
    David Greasley

OK, so have managed to finally log in.

What I did was change the passwordFormat attribute on the UsersMembershipProvider in Web.Config to 'Clear'. I then copied and pasted the hash from my database and it allowed me to log in.

I then set the passwordFormat back to 'Hashed' and in the back office changed my password back to what it was before.

Very worryingly the two password hashes are completely different! Has there been some work done between 6.1.6 and 6.2.4 on how password hashes are generated?

Is there a salt value used and stored anywhere that may have been overwritten during the update?

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 12:44
    Simon Dingley

I've just hit this issue while upgrading a site from v4.11.10 to v6.2.5 and can confirm that the hash for the password "admin" is completely different to what it was previously.

v4 Hash = d9xnUXsUah9gycu7D0TpRYcx19c= v6 Hash = 611VcgeVbdC8Uz15RRkkKw==/rly2gs1c18VO/2FN5TSdNM8cgBrAjioG+8b/uxky4A=

This is obviously going to cause issues for people that are upgrading.

Any ideas why this is?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 13:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Simon this isn't a problem when upgrading because useLegacyEncoding is set to true in all versions we've shipped. So in your case someone has updated useLegacyEncoding to be false and that's why you're getting a different password format.

Aug 18, 2015 @ 13:51
    Simon Dingley

Thanks Sebastiaan, something new I've learnt today, I've never noticed that attribute on the membership provider - probably because I've never needed to change it! I inherited this project so don't know of the history but will certainly try to remember to check this for any future upgrades.

Cheers

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 14:00
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I am literally ITCHING to make non-legacy the default but it would lead to so many reports like yours. :-)

v8 is going to be great! ;-)

Aug 18, 2015 @ 14:01
    Simon Dingley

Haha - it will cause mayhem! Starting putting your FAQ's together now to save yourself the pain later on ;)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft