Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Moltzen-Bildsøe 15 posts 145 karma points
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 11:59
    Thomas Moltzen-Bildsøe

Migrating to newest Umbraco

Hi all

I just succesfully (I think) migrated my Umbraco 6.1.6 to 7.0.0 - now I'm wondering how to proceed. I want to upgrade all the way to 7.12.3, but I'm having trouble finding a "best-practice".

Should I migrate i step 7.0.0 -> 7.0.1, then to 7.0.2, then to 7.1.0 and so on, or is it possible to skip some of the versions?

BR Thomas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 18:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hello Thomas and welcome to our :)

Well done on getting from 6.1.6 to 7.0.0!

You should be able to skip some of the versions but it all depends on some factors like what kind of 3rd party packages you're using and whether they might still be compatible etc.

But judging from the start of your post it does not sound like it was too hard going from 6 to 7 so I suspect the road ahead might / hopefully be more straightforward than other builds might be.

I'll suggest you read Paul Seal's article on his approach of upgrading older Umbraco versions here https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-upgrade-umbraco-safely/

Also make sure to check out the version specific guide here https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/version-specific

I hope this helps!

/Jan

Nov 28, 2018 @ 22:46
    Thomas Moltzen-Bildsøe

Hi Jan, and thanks for welcoming me :)

We've tried keeping the Umbraco as "clean" as possible. So migrating wasn't the hardest task. I spent some time merging config files, and we have a service that uses Umbraco Content Service, so I had to change a couple of types ie. IPulishedContent.

I had some trouble with the installer failing to create some tables in the database, but found a post about it and it worked. And still having some issues with TinyMce due to us using ie. "p, .text" as an alias, and it is not supported in 7.0.0.

I'll read the articles you've linked to, thank you very much for your reply.

EDIT

Is it customary to close the post as soon as you've replied, or should I try doing the upgrading, and paste my findings, for future reference?

BR Thomas

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 28, 2018 @ 19:49
    Nicholas Westby

Only hiccup I've come across is the need to migrate to Umbraco 7.7 before migrating to the latest (due to the way the user/password information is stored). Otherwise, you should not have to migrate to every single minor/patch version along the way.

Nov 28, 2018 @ 22:48
    Thomas Moltzen-Bildsøe

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for the reply. I will keep this in mind. So I probably shouldn't skip 7.7. I'll read the articles Jan posted, and then I'll see how I goes.

BR Thomas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft