Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arjan H. 221 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Mar 08, 2022 @ 12:16
    Arjan H.

What happens to Angular components when Umbraco launches the new UI component library?

https://umbraco.com/blog/future-proofing-the-backoffice-implementation/

Does anyone know if Umbraco will continue to support existing Angular components in the backoffice once the new UI component library is released? Or will any bespoke dashboards, sections, views, etc. need to be rewritten using the new UI component library and backoffice API’s?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 09, 2022 @ 12:17
    Lee Kelleher

(ignore the reply from @monas - I suspect it's a spambot)

The crux of it is, yes, all the AngularJS dependant components will need to be rewritten. As far as I'm aware, the underpinning JS framework (the glue, so to speak), has not yet been agreed on. But the UI components (from the UUI project are designed as neutral Web Components), wont be tied to a specific JS framework.

For package developers, I believe the idea is to leverage the use of the UUI components and for anything custom, to embrace native Web Components as much as possible.

(I'm not on any of the "official" community teams for this, so no insider info - just watching as a long time package dev).

Cheers,
    - Lee

Mar 09, 2022 @ 14:14
    Arjan H.

Thank you for the reply, Lee.

Any tips on how to approach an upcoming v9 project with a ton of bespoke backoffice features/sections. This video shows how to hook up UUI components with AngularJS. So it should be possible to implement the custom features using these components. However UUI components are still in 0.x.x, so it's a bit of a risk to use them on a production website. And even if we'd use the UUI components from the start we'd still need to rewrite a lot of the code once Umbraco drops AngularJS support.

I'd love to get some feedback from the community team. A rough timeline for the introduction of the UUI components and expected end for AngularJS support would be very helpful.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 09, 2022 @ 14:24
    Lee Kelleher

Personally, I'm waiting until the new backoffice has been announced before I start updating my package, (with Contentment being my main focus).

I don't think this will happen for v10 - given it's target release date is June 2022. So I'd assume it'd be for v11 or v12, late-2022/early-2023. Which gives us a year(ish) to figure out what we're all doing.

Until then, I'll be reading/watching whatever comes out of HQ about it.

Mar 09, 2022 @ 14:37
    Arjan H.

Yeah, and with v10 being LTS we should have a considerable amount of time to rewrite any bespoke backoffice sections/features. The hard part is explaining to the client that they will eventually have to invest in redoing the backoffice. :-/

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    Nov 29, 2022 @ 11:25
    Jonathan Roberts

Is there any update for 11? We are starting work on a CMS search in 8 but our client wants to make sure that the approach that we take in 8 is easily migratable to versions 11, 12 and beyond. I know we cant foresee the future but we wondered how long AngularJS was hanging around? Does it stop in 10 or will it be around for 11 too?

Thanks

Jon

• Luuk Peters 82 posts 322 karma points
    Jan 04, 2023 @ 14:18
    Luuk Peters

The current roadmap places the new backoffice in the Umbraco 13 release (end 2023), so until 13 Angular will be there.

Why would jou start a new project in 8 now that 9+ is out?

• Jonathan Roberts 409 posts 1063 karma points
    Jan 04, 2023 @ 14:21
    Jonathan Roberts

Apologies - its not a full new project in 8 - its just doing a small addition to their current CMS - which is 8 - their code is so complex (not by me :)) - that it would require a rebuild in 9 and above. We just dont want to do this small addition again - when we rebuild it (copy and paste :))

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft