Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryan Nguyen 27 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 19:07
    Ryan Nguyen

Courier 2 - 401: Unauthorized with Anonymous Authentication disabled

Hey everyone,  

Can someone please help me my courier problem.  This is the error i'm getting when I go to Courier Tab -> Locations -> {my local server}.

"The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized."

I'm using Windows Authenication to authenicate the members.  I disabled "Anonymous Authentication" as I dont want anyone outside of our domain to be able to access it.  

The only way I got Courier to work is if I were to enabled the "Anonymous Authenitication".  However, this is not a viable solution as I dont want unauthorized users to access the website.

Things I have Tried that does not work:

1) In the Courier Config settings, I changed the login to the Umbraco Admin Account

<login>admin</login>
                                    <password>1234</password>
                                    <passwordEncoding>Hashed</passwordEncoding>

2) In the web.config I changed my membership defaultProvider
     provider to my AD Membership Prodiver, and in the Courier Config setting, changed the 

<login>MyADAdminAccount</login>
                <password>MyADPassword1234</password>
                <passwordEncoding>Clear</passwordEncoding>

3) In my IIS, i gave my permission to both sites running under an network admin account

However, none of that works, so if anyone know the solution, please help me.

Here are details about my setup.

Umbraco version 7.2.1

Default Membership config setting

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
            <providers>           <clear />           <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="4" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" />           <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="4" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" />                   </providers>       </membership>

IIS Settings:

Courier Config Setting:

<repository name="http://localhost:6099" alias="http://localhost:6099" type="CourierWebserviceRepositoryProvider" visible="true">

<url>http://localhost:6099</url>
          <user>0</user>

<!--
                                    Alternative, you can specify the specific  login / password / encryption values
                                    <login>admin</login>
                                    <password>1234</password>
                                    <passwordEncoding>Clean|Hashed</passwordEncoding>
                                    -->
        </repository>

Thanks

Ryan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 19:22
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ryan,

DonĀ“t know if this post from iis.net forum, can be at any help,

http://forums.iis.net/t/1182909.aspx

But I hope so,

/Dennis

Jan 13, 2015 @ 21:34
    Ryan Nguyen

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the link.  However, I looked at the post, ran "Process Monitor" and fiddler to check out the traffic and with zero luck.  It seems that I can't get Courier to work without "Anonymous Authentication" being enabled.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Ryan

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 22:22
    Paul Sterling

@Ryan

That is true, you'll need Anonymous Auth in order to use Courier across instances - with locations.  Courier does not use an authentication header, as you'd need with WinAuth.

One option is to create a local revision in Courier, then transfer that revison (it is just files in a folder) to the target environment, then run the extract and compare of the revision on the target environment.

Jan 15, 2015 @ 15:31
    Ryan Nguyen

Thanks Paul,

I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks,

Ryan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft