Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 15:59
    Laurence Gillian

How to solve Courier problems.

I think it would be positive if we put together some advice/guidance on how to go about debugging/solving Courier issues.

Having just had another Courier site stop working, I have to reassure our customers that this technology works and that we can resolve these issues quickly. Both of which I feel quite uncomfortable about.

-

I know the nHibernate element of Courier makes things very mysterious, but there must be some common issues that can easily be resolved by following a certain process.

Are there any recommended steps?

Every-time Courier blows up, I feel like I'm starting back at step one.

• Gleb Kaplan 49 posts 125 karma points
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 17:31
    Gleb Kaplan

1) Clear Courier Cache every time after you change courier.config, perform massive updates of document types, or just start feeling the things are not working right!

2) Cleanup recycle bin on target server regularly. If a couriered item is deleted on the target server, courier will not create a new one.

3) Never create content items directly on your production server. Courier recognizes items as "the same" by GUID, so it will not update these items during the sync.

4) Minimize amount of dependencies by tweaking the courier.config

5) For your content editors restrict everything in Courier permissions section but Documents, Media, Document Property data, Media property data, and Dictionary. Couriering macros and templates as a dependencies is a nightmare. Sync most of file content manually (using SVN hooks, FTP or file share), use Courier only for the database content sync. 

5) Make sure all non-standard controls present in Courier.config, so Courier recognizes locallinks and node pickers (for example not all uComponent controls are included into courier config)

6) Use open-source part of courier to set up breakpoints and debug.

7) Finally, decompile the non open-source part of courier to set up breakpoints and debug.

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:31
    Dan Lister

Hi Gleb. How did you go about addressing point 5? I've looked within Courier's config and section. I can't seem to find any configuration relating to types of objects that can be packaged etc. Thanks, Dan.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Sep 25, 2013 @ 19:03
  • Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Oct 16, 2013 @ 16:58
    Laurence Gillian

We've experienced strange cryptic problems when the /Bin folder does not have the correct permissions.

• gerardo 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 16, 2013 @ 20:59
    gerardo

Hi Lawrence, how did you solve your cryptic problem with the permissions? It seems to me like I need to check my permissions because of this error: 

---> System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.ReflectionPermission, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

I toggled this setting in web.config "umbracoUseMediumTrust" to no effect and I think that I have checked my machine config and think that the code is running in full-trust however I don't know for sure the settings. 

Can anyone on here check out my error? I have looked through the links on this thread and so far my installation checks out. I will add this solution to the docs when I figure it out :) Thanks, 

G-

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft