Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sarah 40 posts 104 karma points
    Dec 14, 2012 @ 15:57
    Sarah

Courier 2.7.3 not working with 4.11.1

Hi guys,

I wonder if any of you can help me. We purchased Courier yesterday and I'm struggling to get it to work! On my local installation I have my site all set up and courier installed. On my dev server, I have a blank install of 4.11.1 which also has Courier installed. 

What I want to do is package everything up or do a right click deployment from my local installation to my dev one. I can do one thing at a time, but we didn't pay out this money to do that. I want to get it working properly!

I've created a package with around 10 document types in it along with any of it's dependencies. I transfer it to my dev location. When I try and install the revision on my dev server, it gets so far through extraction then just hangs. I have to then kill it by recycling the app pool.

Anyone had a similar problem or can recommend anything? Is Courier 2.7.3 even compatible with 4.11.1?

• Rolf Johansson 53 posts 315 karma points
    Dec 14, 2012 @ 15:59
    Rolf Johansson

Are you using the nightly build of Courier, 2.7.3.39 at http://nightly.umbraco.org/UmbracoCourier/2.7.3/nightly%20builds/ ?

Dec 14, 2012 @ 16:00
    Sarah

I should also point out, my local install is also 4.11.1 and I get the same problem with extraction with the right click deployment.

Dec 14, 2012 @ 16:01
    Sarah

No Rolf, just using the one downloaded from the package repository via my install. Is it worth giving the nightly build a try?

Dec 14, 2012 @ 16:03
    Rolf Johansson

Yes. Try uninstalling the installed Courier 2.7.3 package first, then install the zip file as a local package. We have 4.11.1 and 2.7.3.39 and the transfer and deploy parts works, at least. There are other issues I've come across when packaging on one server but it might be local and connected to other problems with 4.11.1.

Dec 14, 2012 @ 16:13
    Sarah

No joy unfortunately. Still hanging on extraction when installing a revision and using right click deployment. Also if I try direct deploy, in the status window that pops up I get the following (was also happening before I installed the nightly build).

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Umbraco.Courier.UI.Pages.status'.

Source Error: 

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="status.aspx.cs" Inherits="Umbraco.Courier.UI.Pages.status" MasterPageFile="../MasterPages/CourierPage.Master" %> Line 2:  <%@ Register Namespace="umbraco.uicontrols" Assembly="controls" TagPrefix="umb" %>
    Line 3:  

Source File: /umbraco/plugins/courier/pages/status.aspx    Line: 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Dec 14, 2012 @ 16:34
    Rolf Johansson

Umpf. That was a bit trickier.

Can you confirm that you have the file bin/Umbraco.Courier.UI.dll?

I've never run across this particular error message before. Does restarting IIS do anything?

Dec 17, 2012 @ 10:19
    Sarah

Sorry for the delay in replying. I left work early on Friday! I can confirm I do have that DLL on my local and dev environment. I'll keep playing around with it. Thanks for your help Rolf.

Dec 17, 2012 @ 10:42
    Sarah

I find it very strange that I can do just 1 document type for example and it works without problem. I just tried a right click deployment which had a couple of dependencies, so a template and a few data types for example. This one crashed the IIS Worker process on my local machine. Not sure if this information will help anyone give me any suggestions! :)

Dec 17, 2012 @ 10:57
    Sarah

It seems like it's not necessarily a more than one at a time problem. If I try to do a right click deployment of my Homepage document type, this crashes my IIS worker processes so looks like it could be certain things are causing this problem.

Dec 17, 2012 @ 11:27
    Sarah

I've got a mixture of things that appear to be causing this crashing/hanging issue. Some document types, some stylesheets, some templates. It gets stranger by the minute! I have enabled debugMode in my config but I'm not getting any logs being written. 

Dec 17, 2012 @ 11:33
    Rolf Johansson

Nothing written in App_Data\Logs\UmbracoTraceLog.txt? Sounds like it could be some strange IIS and web.config issue, what have you changed in your web.config and conf\umbracoSettings?

Dec 17, 2012 @ 12:52
    Sarah

In my web config I have set identity impersonate=true. No changes to my umbracoSettings. I have managed to get some logs now. The UmbracoTraceLog is just writing info for NHibernate, no errors in there.

I've got an error in my courier/log_Error file now though. For a document type that crashes my IIS worker process. Not much info unfortunately!

17/12/2012 11:47:22; cc07b313-0843-4aa8-bbda-871c8da728c8 return null

17/12/2012 11:47:22; -1 return null

Another of my problematic items is giving this:

17/12/2012 11:29:45; System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml)

at Umbraco.Courier.Core.Helpers.XmlDependencies.ReplaceIds(String xml, String xPath, String attribute, IdentifierReplaceDirection direction, List`1& replacedIds)xml: 734de9d6-7ea1-494f-a554-9428358c6c13

Now that I have some error information, I can start googling something more specific I suppose!

Dec 17, 2012 @ 16:47
    Rolf Johansson

Ok, I have nothing about impersonate in web.config. I run my dev Umbraco 4.11.1 site with the Integrated ASP.NET 4.0 Application Pool. Identity for this is ApplicationPoolIdentity and then I set  Modify Rights on the wwwroot folder for LOCAL_MACHINE\IIS_IUSRS. That's all.

Check if you can find the XML Document for Courier somewhere in App_Data\Courier\Revisions and if it's seems to be correct XML. The System.Xml.XmlException should really only happen if the XML for Courier is messed up.

Dec 17, 2012 @ 17:01
    Sarah

I've sort of got it working. I found a forum post discussing errors similar to the ones I posted above and it discussed making smaller packages. I did this and I have managed to get it to extract without hanging etc.

The problem I'm now having is with my content. I can't publish or create anything in my content node as it just times out. I am pretty much at the end of my patience now. In the time I spent on these issues I could have manually rebuilt the whole site twice which I think is what I'm about to do now!

Thanks for trying to help though Rolf, it's much appreciated! :)

Dec 17, 2012 @ 17:16
    Rolf Johansson

Oh, I've had packages of about 200M data extracting fine just lately, but hey – Courier seems to live its own life from time to time. Some errors could relate to the Umbraco Core and others to Courier itself, but I guess it very much depends on your setup and the structure of your site.

We've always had different problems with Courier but I haven't had the time to dig deeper into the problems, just trying workarounds and trying to have some patience... :)

Dec 19, 2012 @ 15:16
    Sarah

Well I persevered a little longer with this and I do have it working now. 

Instead of starting my version on our test server from a blank install, I created a new database using a back up of my local one and deployed my local code to our test server.

There were some niggles, mostly around a link picker data type. It was as though something had corrupted so I had to go into all the content using this data type, remove the link and re-add it manually on the test version.

So it is working now although I am finding it a little buggy and don't have much confidence in it at all! Sometimes when I install a revision of stylesheets or templates it clears the document on the test site and I'm left with a blank file. Usually a right click deployment of the template or stylesheet affected fixes it but on a few occasions I have just had to copy and paste the code. 

There was also one of my stylesheets that flat out refused to be "couriered". It's one we created via the Umbraco interface to be used in the RTE. I ended up having to manually replicate that. 

I have also found that the success rate is better for transferring content if I package a revision and install it to test rather than do a right click deployment as I have more control over what is going to the test site that way (i.e. anything with the aforementioned stylesheet in it will cause the package to fail and what seems like a DB issue, possibly an open transaction or something along those lines). 

• Edwin van Koppen 156 posts 270 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 09:29
    Edwin van Koppen

I have the same error, any real solution yet?

Jan 30, 2013 @ 11:47
    Sarah

Hi Edwin,

No further progress from me I'm afraid. I have found packaging things up into smaller packages means it works more often. I change the drop down to only add the item I'm selecting and not various level of dependencies to ensure I have full control over the size and contents of the package. 

In all honesty, it is far from working smoothly on my setup. I'm not really using it much anymore as I really don't have any confidence in its stability. 

Let me know if you have more luck than me! :)

Jan 30, 2013 @ 11:54
    Rolf Johansson

There is a new nightly build of Courier, 2.7.4 based on 2.7.3.53:
    http://nightly.umbraco.org/UmbracoCourier/2.7.4/nightly%20builds/

I haven't tried it, one collegue tried it and promoted it to be more stable.

Jan 30, 2013 @ 12:04
    Edwin van Koppen

thx for the answers but the nightly doens't work also..

@sarah, i'm testing if Umbraco is something for our company but we make alot of big sites so everthing is really slow and stuff like this also don't help! Can i ask you how do you do a deployment now without Courier?

Jan 31, 2013 @ 09:07
    Sarah

At my workplace we are currently just FTP'ing any files we've changed to the live server. As for data, we are currently doing that directly to live unfortunately. My personal project that I use Umbraco with, I have both my live and test site pointed to the same database. For content, I create the page on test and publish it to check it's all working ok. If it is I sign into live. The content I have created is there and shows as published (i.e. it's not greyed out with the little star) but it isn't actually published to live. I can then publish it on live to make it visible on my live site. For changes to code I FTP to my test server to check it's working then I FTP it to live.

This isn't without it's risks though. Installing packages can be a little risky as can changing document types. The most diffucult thing with this setup I think is probably if you want to update Umbraco to a newer version. I haven't braved trying that yet!

I'm still trying to get Courier to work as it could be such a useful tool if I can just get it to work smoothly!

Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:17
    Edwin van Koppen

Thank for the answer Sarah! But we have to have also a staging and a live server so that will make the problem even bigger..

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    Oct 08, 2014 @ 22:54
    Ryios

The issue is that the Type "status" (which should be a of System.Web.UI.Page*) is missing from Courier's Courier.UI dll, Via reflector, it is not present in Courier.UI.Pages.. It doesn't exist anymore.

I've only encountered this error when clicking directly on the Revisions node and using Direct Deploy. If I click on the specific revision and do compare & install it works fine.

Oct 08, 2014 @ 23:07
    Ryios

After farther research with reflector going through the courier nightly builds site,

http://nightly.umbraco.org/UmbracoCourier/

I've determined that the last version of courier to include Umbraco.Courier.UI.Pages.status was 2.6, It disappears from the dll starting at 2.7.0.

So if you want to get rid of this error, go back to a version of courier 2.6 or earlier.

Oct 09, 2014 @ 00:49
    Ryios

More..

I wasn't able to use 2.6 due to log4net version conflicts, sooooo....

I resolved this by getting the unkeyed version of log4net for 1.2.10 of log4net. I created a folder called Dependencies in my project and made a sub folder called log4net, then another for 1.2.10, then I named the dll nokeylog4net.dll.

Then I added assembly bindings to redirect to it,

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="log4net" publicKeyToken="1b44e1d426115821" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.2.10" newVersion="1.2.10" href="Dependencies/1.2.10/keylog4net.dll" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="log4net" publicKeyToken="null" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.2.11.0" newVersion="1.2.11.0" href="Dependencies/1.2.11/nokeylog4net.dll" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>

Now, I downloaded the Courier Package for Courier2.62.7.0.2 (one of the last versions that still has the status page in the dll).

I unzipped the package and edited the package.xml file and removed the file node for log4net. Then I deleted the dll for log4net from the package (as I am managing that version of log4net myself "Note this is where I got the dll for 1.2.10").

Then I rezipped the package, and installed it as a local package.

Boom, Direct Deploy works

I'm using Umbraco 6.2.2 for reference.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft