Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• gilpt 33 posts 53 karma points
    Jul 24, 2011 @ 17:40
    gilpt

Courier does not delete nodes

I deleted some content nodes (and  document type ) in my site

the content nodes are not deleted in other servers when i use Courier to sync it to other servers...

is it the way it should work??

• andy_rose 91 posts 117 karma points
    Jul 25, 2011 @ 10:30
    andy_rose

As I think you have already discovered Courier will not delete anything in the target site. I believe the reasoning behind this is to prevent Courier removing anything that may still be a dependency in another environment as there is no way of assuring both the source and destination are 100% in synch.

The only alternative I am currently aware of is using unpublish rather than delete to remove content. I do not believe there is currently a way to get Courier to remove more fundamental Umbraco objects such as document types.Courier does expose a large event api in much the same way as the Umbraco core does however I think it would be insanely complex to write code that would identify and delete unwanted content nodes.

Having said all that I am just trialing Courier myself at the moment and am no expert so would be interested to hear other thoughts from those with more experience on this.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jul 25, 2011 @ 10:42
    Rich Green

Explanation about why Courier does not delete nodes in this video here http://codegarden11.com/sessions/day-2/slot-two/team-development-with-andor-without-courier-20.aspx

Well worth a watch for anyone interested in Courier.

Rich

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Aug 08, 2011 @ 14:03
    Per Ploug

The only way you could do this, is to keep a log of what you are deleting, because as of now, when you delete stuff in umbraco it will just be gone (only the umbracoLog table will have a reference to it, but only by ID, which is useless on the remote instance as the ID will have changed)

So log the Guids of all deleted items, then on each successfull extraction, tell courier to delete items through the Event Queue API (check the docs on umbraco.com) you would still need to write your own event handler for it, and then delete stuff through the native Umbraco API

So it is not impossible to do, it's just really scary and not very predictable - hence why we decided not to support it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft