Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mo 34 posts 54 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 12:16
    Mo

Contour question: infinite fields ..?

Hi, big fan of umbraco - been xslt'ing for about 3 months now.

I'm thinking of getting Contour today, but for my current project I have a requirement I'm not sure if Contour can accommodate:

I need to implement forms with infinite fields. By that I mean a form where an end user filling in such a form would have the ability to add more fields if he/she has more information to add.

Something like this:

Education: --------------------

[add more]

and the "add more" button adds a new Education field.

I have no problem hardcoding such a form, but the client I'm developing for wants to have this functionality in user created forms as well.

Contour is a great solution for allowing cms users to add new forms, but it would be even better if there is support for infinite fields.

• Comment author was deleted

May 11, 2010 @ 13:35

Hi Mo,

It should be possible to create a custom fieldtype that has this behaviour.

So a textbox with an 'add more' option that would add additional textboxes. The value of that field would then be stored as a comma seperated list of the different entries.

To get started you can find the sourcecode off all default Contour components (including field types) here:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-contour-shared-source

May 11, 2010 @ 14:05
    Mo

Thanks for the tip Tim, but what if the user entered a comma? that... could pose a problem!

I'm thinking of trying a simplified approach where a maximum of 5 fields can be added, and then fill in the 6 table fields. Can a data type have multiple table fields?

On a tangent: are there measures implemented into contour to prevent sql injection?

• Per Ploug Hansen 208 posts 129 karma points
    May 14, 2010 @ 13:27
    Per Ploug Hansen

Hi Mo

A field can only have 1 table field, there are currently no way around this limitation, we are looking into a soluton. 

Data operations follow the Microsoft Patterns and Practices guidelines to avoid injection. 

/Per

May 24, 2010 @ 17:43
    Mo

what kind of separator caan I use that wouldn't conflict with commas, colons, semicolons or periods?

The data entered could have all these and I am trying to figure out a method where nothing gets corrupted.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 24, 2010 @ 18:01
    Tim

You could use something pretty unlikely to see real world use, such as ~, to make it even less likely to conflict, double, or triple it up, ie ~~ or ~~~

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft