Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Park 32 posts 52 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 11:26
    David Park

Greek Characters replaced by ?'s in sent emails.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I am sending multi-language emails from Contour on submission. On this sent email, UTF-8 is working in so much as my translated field names are appearing in Greek characters, but the user inputted information generates the wrong characters. See an example below;

Ονοματεπνυμο: test - ???µatep???µ?
    νομα Εταιρεας: test - ???µa ?ta??e?a?
    Διεθυνση: test - ??e????s?
    Πλη: test - ????
    Χρα: test - ???a
    Ταχυδρομικς Κδικας: test - ?a??d??µ???? ??d??a?
    Τηλφωνο: test - ????f???

Pre-colon characters are the translated fieldnames and post-colon is the user-inputted information. I think the problem is not with my XSLT transformed email code, but somewhere in Contour or even Umbraco itself.

Has anyone come across this or know why it is happening?

Thanks in advance.

• Comment author was deleted

May 11, 2010 @ 13:27

Hi David,

We are currently testing the new maintenance release of Contour (v 1.0.10) which should fix this issue.

Regards,
    Tim

• Mo 34 posts 54 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 14:25
    Mo

is text stored as nvarchar?

I had this problem on my personal .net cms, and fixed it using the N prefix

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc295829%28SQL.90%29.aspx#_Toc191110870

Don't know if this works for all languages or not.

• David Park 32 posts 52 karma points
    May 11, 2010 @ 14:51
    David Park

Hi Mo, well, you were spot on. I had changed to NText just before you replied and it worked a charm. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Tim, is it something you really need to fix? Seems to me that a prominent line in the documentation or the download page should do the trick. But I guess anything that helps is always good!

On a sidenote, before I started working with Umbraco I was worried that there might be a lack of community behind it like you get with some better known CMS's. But I have asked two questions in quick succession now on this forum and have had them both resolved quickly so it really is looking good for Umbraco!

• Per Ploug Hansen 208 posts 129 karma points
    May 14, 2010 @ 12:53
    Per Ploug Hansen

Hi David

Glad you got it working, the fix that you describe has also been added to the next version (1.0.10) which is on our nightly.umbraco.org server for testing, so if you wish to test it, it is here: 
    http://nightly.umbraco.org/Umbraco%20Contour/1.0.10/

Glad the community is helpfull to you, it is one of our best and most valued features :)

/Per

• Mo 34 posts 54 karma points
    Jun 08, 2010 @ 13:16
    Mo

Hey David,

um, found myself in the same situation and wanted to know where you changed the code?

Pretty embarrassing that I know what the solution is but not where to add it!

• Søren Reinke 158 posts 206 karma points c-trib
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 08:48
    Søren Reinke

I have a similar problem, with danish letters æøåÆØÅ

They are correctly stored in the database, but when i use either umbraco backend og xslt (the comment example from the video) 'æøå' is shown as 'aoa'

When i look directly in the database, everything is fine.

How come ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft