Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Jan 19, 2010 @ 12:54
    Dan Evans

File upload with a Contour form - questions and suggestions

When using the file upload on a Contour form it would be useful to define what file types can be uploaded, e.g. PDF, JPEG etc. so as to prevent users uploading malicious files.

Also, is there anyway to define where files are saved? The default location is /umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/files/3bde2a42-4ac4-4425-af88-fde142b712b6/file name. The problem here is that if 2 users upload a file of the same name then the original will get overwritten. It would be good if each file was saved in a sub folder to prevent this happening.

Also, in the entries section of Contour it would be nice if the link to the file was active to save users having to copy and paste into a browser.

Thanks

Dan

• Comment author was deleted

Jan 21, 2010 @ 11:08

Hi Dan,

Currently you cannot configure where to store the files. But I don't think a file will get overwritten, the guid id folder should take care of that (so not all files are stored in the same folder)

The entries viewer will be updated so it shows a link when it's a file.

Regards,
    Tim

Jan 21, 2010 @ 14:36
    Dan Evans

Contour creates a new folder for each form based on the GUID but ALL form submissions for that form go in the same folder. I have tested it and if the file name is the same it does get overwritten. I am going to use this for a job application site so i just know everyone will upload files called "cv.doc" which is going to cause problems.

The entries viewer does show the file location but it would be nice if this were a live link rather than just text - though i have written some XSLT to show this in the email.

There does appear to be a line in UmbracoContour.config that looks like it should define the storage directory:

<settings>
    <setting key="UploadStorageDirectory" value="" />
    </settings>
  • Andrew 32 posts 52 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 18:10
    Andrew

Did you find a solution for this problem?  I am using contour for the same thing and have the same difficulty.

Feb 10, 2010 @ 18:59
    Dan Evans

I didn't find a solution as the client has not approved the job yet. I am hoping the Contour team will be working on a solution that will give all files unique names on upload and add links to them in the form submissions list in the Contour entries page.

• Niels Bosma 8 posts 29 karma points
    Mar 21, 2010 @ 17:44
    Niels Bosma

I also have the same exact same issues as Dan in my project.

What's the roadmap for Contour? Whould be great to know if Contour is getting support for this in a near future or if I need to build my own form.

/Niels

• Per Ploug Hansen 208 posts 129 karma points
    Mar 21, 2010 @ 20:04
    Per Ploug Hansen

There are some underlying architectual changes needed to actually enable support of the individual field-type (to for exemple configure where to save files)

So instead of having everyone wait for us to wrap that up in the next version, we've decided to release the source of all types in Contour as a free download. This means that if you have a component in contour that you wish to change, just a tiny bit, you can now download the source and base a new component on it.

So hopefully this will solve your issue, simply changing the way the Upload Fieldtype saves files.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-contour-shared-source

• Sean 64 posts 116 karma points
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 20:28
    Sean

Is the source still available? (link is invalid)

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 05:21
    Jason Prothero

For future Googlers I found the link here:

http://our.umbraco.org/FileDownload?id=2922

• Adam Prendergast 33 posts 77 karma points c-trib
    Jun 18, 2013 @ 11:08
    Adam Prendergast

In the version we are using "UploadStorageDirectory" is available as an option in the config but is never implemented in the code.

We have opted for a virtual directory in IIS for umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/files and pointing at the desired upload location.

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 10:11
    keilo

Has anyone managed to change the source or implement a workaroung for this?

I am facing with the same issue, running latet 7.1.4 w latest contour.

The source code above, with latest dll references does not compile.

Would appreicate if someone can shed some light.

many thanks!

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Jun 16, 2014 @ 12:16
    Fergus Davidson

i also have this issue.

Ideally i would be able to change the upload field, specifying a value from the form in the folder name.

For example:

<lastname-field>-<firstname-field>-<record-id>/ <file-name>.file

has anyone implemented anything like this?

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    May 20, 2015 @ 07:18
    keilo

hitting this requirement in a new installation. Is there any word or estimate on when such feature or workaround will be available?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft