Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keld Gøtterup 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 13:59
    Keld Gøtterup

Submit button text

Hi

i've been working with Contour for a day or two and i only found one problem with this otherwise great product. I can't find a way to change the text on the submit button, is it at all possible at this time or am i just to blind to find it.

Regards Keld

• Jeremy 14 posts 35 karma points
    Dec 11, 2009 @ 22:31
    Jeremy

I was in the same boat as you.  What I've done (for the time being) is use a javascript to change the text when the  form loads.  To get the id of the button, just view the page source.  I'm not sure if the id changes.  Hope this helps.

var button = document.getElementById("ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderDefault_MainContent_RenderForm_13_b_next")

button.value = "whatever you want the button text to be"

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 14, 2009 @ 11:00
    Per Ploug

The submit button uses the dictionary item #Submit, so you could add that item and set it's value to something else.

For the javascript fix, the ID is based on the control the macro is placed inside of, so if you move the macro or add it to another master template, it might change. Instead you could use jQuery and find the button based on it's css class instead.

• Jason Denizac 6 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 23, 2009 @ 23:43
    Jason Denizac

I could not get the dictionary item method to work. I tried creating nodes named both '#Submit' and 'Submit'. I have not used dictionary nodes previously. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 24, 2009 @ 09:21

Hi Jason,

Did you also assign the language ?

• kevin 31 posts 52 karma points
    Jan 07, 2010 @ 12:38
    kevin

Tim,

What do you mean by assigning the language? I'm not getting this to work either on a website with the language defined through "manage hostnames" and dictionary items added for both #Submit and Submit in that language...

Thanks!

• kevin 31 posts 52 karma points
    Jan 07, 2010 @ 18:47
    kevin

Ok, nevermind, i got it from one of your older posts.

"Submit button, will fetch it's value from the dictionary item submit (if it exists)
    Next button, from next
    Previous button from previous"

• Kenneth Solberg 227 posts 418 karma points
    Jan 19, 2010 @ 11:11
    Kenneth Solberg

Correct, it has to be lowercased.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 15:10
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I really wish there could be a property in Contour that lets you specify the text on PER form and also lets you use an imagebutton instead of a regular input button.

@Tim: anything in the works for that?

• Harald Ulriksen 207 posts 249 karma points
    Jun 04, 2010 @ 08:00
    Harald Ulriksen

Remember that you still have to handle languages, perhas it could be exposed all in the macro.

• Søren Reinke 158 posts 206 karma points c-trib
    Jun 04, 2010 @ 10:11
    Søren Reinke

I used thsi jquery to change the submit button text.

<script type="text/javascript">
            $(".contourSubmit").val("Submit Comment");
        </script>

Very simple, and no fancy stuff like language handling or anything like that.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 04, 2010 @ 13:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It's easy to make this multlingual, just set the title from within your XSLT and use dictionary items like so:

<script type="text/javascript">
            $
    (".contourSubmit").val("[#submitComment]");

</script>
  • Simon Murrell 15 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 01, 2010 @ 22:43
    Simon Murrell

$(document).ready(function() {
            $(".contourSubmit").val("[#submitComment]");
        });

• Johan Roug 97 posts 153 karma points
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 09:58
    Johan Roug

I know this post is old, but the problem is still there.

However I looked in the developer documentation, that showed me how to enable change of text on submit buttons

What I have done is this:

go to the developer section in Umbraco, expand the "macros" folder, and select the "insert macro from umbraco contour".

On the macro edit screen, click "Browse properties" you will then be presented with this screen which add

the selected the properties when you click "save properties.

Afterwards I have gone to my page where the form should be inserted. Chossen the form in my macrocontainer, and I see the new fields. I change the name on the submit, and click save/publish.

Here the problem starts. My text is not used on the form. What to do?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 10:04
    Rik Helsen

We never had any issues with this, if you have languages defined for your different nodestructures, you can simply use a dictionary item for the submit button and it'll automatically be used ?

so you can change the text out of the box, and even get multi-lingual support unless you created a 1:1 multilingual site (which is very 1999 :p )

Update: nevermind, I didn't read that you wanted a different text for different forms...

Oct 21, 2010 @ 10:07
    Johan Roug

Yeah. I use the dictionary item right now as a temp solution. But as you say I need different text on different submit buttons

Oct 21, 2010 @ 13:19

Hi,

Since Contour 1.1 you can also enable some more properties on the contour macro, so you should be able to set the submit button text there

Oct 21, 2010 @ 13:19

(check the dev docs for more info http://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-pro/contour )

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 13:42
    Rik Helsen

Available Macro properties

FormGuid Sets the guid of the form to render, expects a valid GUID
    AllowEditing Enables the macro to open previously saved records and edit them, by default set to FALSE, expects a boolean value
    SubmitButtonText Override the text on the submit button, expects a string
    NextButtonText Override the text on the Next button, expects a string
    PreviousButtonText Override the text on the Previous button. expects a string

Oct 21, 2010 @ 14:48
    Johan Roug

Thanks for the answers. I am aware of these extra properties. But they don't seem to work on my solution

Oct 21, 2010 @ 15:42

Don't work, as you set them and they don't reflect or don't work as in not available on macro?

Oct 21, 2010 @ 16:48
    Johan Roug

They show on macro.

Oct 21, 2010 @ 16:52

ANd if you click the browse properties button, do you get all the properties (including the button text ones)?

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Dec 10, 2010 @ 11:51
    Jonas Eriksson

Cool, this works - after adding the properties to the macro with Browse properties (the 1.1 installer does not include them by default).

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jun 13, 2011 @ 16:45
    Roel Snetselaar

Old topic, but I run into the same problem as Johan Roug I am able to get the parameters to show in the macro by clicking the "Browse properties" button after installing contour. Except after re-adding the contour macro to my template and after setting the "SubmitButtonText" I doesn't show in the frontend. (I also published the entire website)

I'm using Umbraco 4.7 and Contour 1.1.8

However, creating a dictionary item called "submit" (lowercased) does seem to work. Except this is not really as expected, the macro parameter should be working as wel I think.

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Oct 17, 2011 @ 13:31
    Anthony Candaele

Hi, some what adjacent to this, is there a way to set the text of the upload file button? For the moment this text is in Dutch and I would like to have it in English:

Thanks for your help

Anthony Candaele
    Belgium 

• John 79 posts 115 karma points
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 10:20
    John

Just a small correction to a post above.  For Wizards the previous button uses the dictionary item "prev" not "previous".

Regarding the text of the upload file button, do you mean the button used to select a file?  If so, I think the short answer is going to be "no" as this is generated by the browser from <input type="file" />.  The control will look different in different browsers and will use the language of the browser.

• John 79 posts 115 karma points
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 09:34
    John

I would just add to this that it is a good idea to add the "next", "prev" and "submit" dictionary items even if you don't want to change the button text - and even if you're not using all three.

We had a simple form with one submit button and, with umbDebugShowTrace=on, we noticed that Contour was looking for all three dictionary items and an exception was being thrown each time.  The first exception took about 4 seconds to process.

Hopefully a future version won't use programming by exception, but until now it's probably a good idea to add the items to stop exceptions being thrown behind the scenes. 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 10, 2013 @ 11:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Is it still possible to overwrite the submit button text using the macro parameters that Rick showed earlier in this post?

I'm using version 3.0.17 and rendering the form using the Razor macro. When I setup the parameter it does not seem to have any effect.

Cheers,
    Jan 

Oct 10, 2013 @ 12:12

Nope razor macro don't have the params but you can use dictionary items, but will add those params or look into an easier way maybe just add it on the form settings

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 10, 2013 @ 12:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tim

Ah ok, I'll add the dictionary item for now then.

May I suggest that you make it possible to define a standard text in the settings (umbracoContour.config) and then make it possible to change the name of the submit button in the form creator?

Thanks for the input.

/Jan

• Anders Brohäll 295 posts 561 karma points c-trib
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:08
    Anders Brohäll

+1 for Skovgaards suggestion.

• Anders Brohäll 295 posts 561 karma points c-trib
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:09
    Anders Brohäll

... i've got a scenario where the current culture differs from the forms. 
    ... meaning i cant get a custom text in the button : ( 

• CASTELLI 23 posts 76 karma points
    Nov 08, 2013 @ 11:58
    CASTELLI

Hi,

In ~\Umbraco\Plugins\umbracoContour\Views\Form.cshtml the value of the submit, next and previous buttons are set to @Model.SubmitCaption, @Model.NextCaption and @Model.PreviousCaption resp.

A quick fix, that's 100% sure of working, would be to modify these values but that wouldn't work for multi web sites since these values are the unique.

I've tried to set them in the dictionnary to no sucess. I'm using a single web site, I've tried lower case, with a # in front ... no success.

I'm using Umbraco v6 and Contour 3, if any knows how to make it work ... Thanks

Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:33

Maintenance release coming out this month where the button captions will be on the settings tab of the form

Hallelujah!

• CASTELLI 23 posts 76 karma points
    Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:21
    CASTELLI

Hi Tim

Good news, thanks

I'm not sure if this is the place for feature requests, but here it is :

I write pretty long sentences for the questions I use in my surveys. I sometime even need to add some html tags to highlight some words. The caption field is therefore long and complex. As this caption is used in the conditionnal option of the additional settings and in the control rendered name, would it be possible to have a caption which would correspond to an ID and a title or text that will display what's to be asked ?

thanks

• Amigo 243 posts 568 karma points
    Apr 13, 2014 @ 23:47
    Amigo

still dont see this -> button captions will be on the settings tab of the form ?? 

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 04:21
    Fuji Kusaka

If you want to change the text for the Submit button you need to do this in the dictionary item. Create a new dictionary item submit.

Apr 14, 2014 @ 04:24
    Amigo

Yes i know, I just see Tim say something else....: November 11, 2013 @ 11:33 
    Maybe he forgot :-)

• Dennis Spijkerboer 53 posts 95 karma points
    Oct 02, 2014 @ 11:11
    Dennis Spijkerboer

Maintenance release coming out this month where the button captions will be on the settings tab of the form

Hallelujah!

Tim, I still don't see this?? This would be a really usefull feature. Our clients don't want the same text for each form.

Oct 02, 2014 @ 22:14
    Amigo

Ja Tim, we want it now :D

• firepol 125 posts 173 karma points
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 16:18
    firepol

Hi there, any updates on this? I'm testing umbraco 7.2 beta 2 with the newest "Umbraco Forms" (Contour) but couldn't see any way to change the "Submit" button text, besides adding a dictionary item for #Submit ... A large with many forms needs a flexibility to have different submit texts for different forms.

Example:

Contact Form: Send

Special area: Save

Form with multiple steps: Go to step 2

etc.

Nov 17, 2014 @ 09:43

In the upcoming v4 version you'l be able to set the captions as settings on the form

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 10:25
    Fuji Kusaka

@Tim Awesome.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft