Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zac 223 posts 575 karma points
    Aug 13, 2014 @ 12:12
    Zac

DropDownList FieldType with custom values (IDs)

Hi there,

We have a requirement to give a client a contour DropDownList type field, where they can choose their own values/IDs for the dropdown options. For example, if they have a dropdown option of "Lorem Ipsum", they want to set the underlying value to "XYZ".

We use a "Save as file" XML workflow that allows the client to bring in various different types of form entry into their 3rd party system. This is a bit oldschool but even if we used the Data Source - Webservice WSDL method (which neither we not the client have experience with) I believe we would have exactly the same problem. The 3rd party system needs the appropriate underlying values for field entries and not their human-friendly text value.

I was unable to find a way to import prevalue sources that let you choose the ID - the only option I can see would be to create a database table of the key/value pairs, but this would not work as we would need to create a table for every single different type of list (and there are many and the point is to make this all CMS-editor powered). Likewise with using a DataType - they wouldn't be editable by the CMS editors and they don't let you set the ID either. We ideally need something re-usable that will solve this problem and then we have a great solution for the long-term.

Any suggestions? We wondered if we might find the source for the existing DropDownList FieldType and then modify it to take in custom IDs for each option.

Aug 18, 2014 @ 17:09
    Zac

I just came across this, source code for some basic field types including the DropDownList.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-contour-shared-source

It's from 2010, but hopefully it should provide a good base.

• Comment author was deleted

Aug 18, 2014 @ 17:11

You can find the latest source for all default providers on the contour project page, sourcecode tab

Aug 18, 2014 @ 17:35
    Zac

Thanks Tim, that's super. Didn't see those there.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft