Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Crabb 22 posts 45 karma points
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 01:35
    Paul Crabb

Data Source - save as node - not saving dropdownlist / checkbox / Radio button

umbraco 4.11.5 - contour 3.0.14 / 3.0.16 -- paid for 2 days ago.

I have setup a dropdownlist data type that has a list of countries.

Created a documentt type that uses this dropdownlist and other textfields.

Created a "data sources" in contour and set to "save as node" then select the document type and select the "parent node".

In data sources I "create form" and "save form" and then preview the form - fill in the form - submit the form - everything appears ok...

Look at the newly created node and checkboxlist selection (same for radio / checkbox) has not been saved... although textfield input has been saved.

Am I doing something stupid ?

Also... I cannot delete forms in contour... unistalled... reinstalled... gone back to 3.0.14... still no joy.

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 11, 2013 @ 15:45

Hmmm might be the mapping that doesn't work, can you try storing it in a textfield just to see the value it stores?

Dec 11, 2013 @ 16:25
    Paul Crabb

Thanks for getting back to me quickly !

I created a new form from within Data Sources - at the stage where you get to "Set Fieldtypes" I changed the my Nationality field from DropDownList to Textfield, Saved and ran the form from "Preview" icon. A new node was created and the normal in the node the Textfield data was saved but the nationality DropDownList was not.

Dec 11, 2013 @ 16:45

What type is the dropdownlist? Could you try switching it to textbox just to see if something is stored

Dec 11, 2013 @ 17:06
    Paul Crabb

Data Type called "Dropdown of NAC" NAC is ( National Aero Club ) and stores 3 letter country codes in capital letters.

Property editor set to "Dropdown list" Database datatype set to "Ntext"

country 3 letter codes manually input using "prevalue"

Changed... property editor set to "Text Box"... saved... which removed my list of countries (sniff sniff) created a new form - the nationality field ( previously DropdownList ) was set to "TextArea" - saved form and added an entry using Preview.

It stored the value correctly in the node.... so a minor victory :) I am out for 20 minutes.

Dec 13, 2013 @ 11:27
    Paul Crabb

Tim, thanks fro the help so far... when I said a "minor victory"... I meant minor - I am still not able to use a dropdown - any further suggestions ?

Dec 13, 2013 @ 12:09

Yeah must not be supported, it will pass in a different value then the dropdownlist is expecting... one for the issue tracker unfortunately :(

Dec 13, 2013 @ 12:13
    Paul Crabb

Thats a bummer - 99euro and a day of my life wasted - I had kind of hoped the very basic functionality would have worked - I don't think I am trying to do anything very clever. Whats the likelihood of this bug being sorted quickly by the company that own contour - how do I contact them to get it resolved ?

Dec 17, 2013 @ 11:06
    Paul Crabb

I have raised ticket http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-493 ... What is the likelihood of this being fixed before Christmas as I have to give my client an entry form system where they don't have to manually re-enter all the data from the forms into the nodes.

Jan 09, 2014 @ 16:11
    Paul Crabb

No response to my bug report or to this thread so I assume that I have to bin contour, the 99$ and write off the time spent trying to get it work. C'est la Vie :(

Jan 27, 2014 @ 21:10
    Paul Crabb

6 weeks gone by - what's the likelihood of this issue being dealt with or even acknowledged ?

Jan 27, 2014 @ 22:21

Hey Paul, sorry must have slipped the radar during the holidays, first thing I'll do tomorrow morning and I'll keep you updated so hope to have a solution for you then

Jan 27, 2014 @ 23:40
    Paul Crabb

Thanks Tim - I will look forward to giving it a test.

Jan 28, 2014 @ 19:38

Ok since these list datatypes can also be third party I think the easiest and fastest way would be to have an additional contour datatype that you can bind to a field or prevalue source, and then use on a umbraco doc type, this way I can make sure that the data stored by umbraco and contour is the same for those doc types, would that work as a solution for you?

Jan 28, 2014 @ 19:58
    Paul Crabb

That would work well as I am just using standard datatypes... the ones in my form are Checkbox List, Dropdown List and Radiobutton List.

Jan 28, 2014 @ 20:07

Ok thanks for confirming, I'll have the datatype ready for you tomorrow

Jan 28, 2014 @ 20:23
    Paul Crabb

I'll give it a whirl as soon as it's ready !

On a slightly different note - I had a frustrating time with forms not saving if I did a few edits and especially if I tried to delete a field. I was not able to delete forms ( or anything ) out of the node tree - all I could do was move unwanted forms to the archive. Following a bit of hunting around in the forum I came across this thread which cured all the problems which I think are specific to Azure...

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/contour/40980-Umbraco-Exception-(DataLayer)-SQL-helper-exception-in-ExecuteNonQuery-on-Azure?p=1

We are hosting our sites (4.11.5) on Azure and once the Contour table indexes were upgraded with the following statements Contour turned into a well behaved package. I did not try and understand why it fixed it - but it was a relief.

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFFieldSettings_Index] ON [UFFieldSettings]([Field])

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFRecordDataBit_Index] ON [UFRecordDataBit]([Key])

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFRecordDataDateTime_Index] ON [UFRecordDataDateTime]([Key])

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFRecordDataInteger_Index] ON [UFRecordDataInteger]([Key])

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFRecordDataLongString_Index] ON [UFRecordDataLongString]([Key])

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFRecordDataString_Index] ON [UFRecordDataString]([Key])

Jan 29, 2014 @ 10:39

Ok thanks for the details, will add this to the default azure script

Jan 29, 2014 @ 10:43

Be aware that this statement CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX [UFRecordDataString_Index] ON UFRecordDataString will have an effect on checkboxlist items, could you see if you select more then 1 item you don't get an error? Since the key isn't unique in that case, set the index to ID instead

Jan 29, 2014 @ 10:54
    Paul Crabb

Just tried the checkboxlist in contour form - everything behaved as expected. Do you mean a checkboxlist datatype used in a normal Umbraco Document ?

Jan 29, 2014 @ 12:54

Ok making good progress on the datatypes, should have them ready today so stay tuned

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:05
    Paul Crabb

I'll keep my wireless ready to receive :)

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:09

Yeah it's datatypes that you can hook to a contour field so it knows how to map the values if you are using it to create umbraco documents

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:14

Hey Paul,

So here is the package: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbipklazil41ac5/ContourDatatypes1.0.zip

Just install it in the umbraco backoffice

You should then get 3 new datatypes

enter image description here

THey all start with Contour...

There you can select a contour field to map to (it will only show the fields that support prevalues)

Once selected you can then use it in your document types And then when using the save as umbraco document workflow make sure that if you map list fieldtypes you map them to properties using these datatypes (hope that makes sense)

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:15

These are for Umbraco v4/V6, you are using that right, if not I'll also create v7 versions

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:16

And again sorry for the delay hope this solves the issue, let me know if you have further questions

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:20
    Paul Crabb

Only using v4 at the moment - I will give it a try now if I get time,I have to go to a meeting. Thanks for working on this - it should make our event organisers workflow much simpler.

Jan 29, 2014 @ 13:32

Ok haven't tested with a datasource yet but will do that now, might need an update (you are using one right?)

Jan 29, 2014 @ 15:25
    Paul Crabb

Just tried to download the zip but got a 404 error - is the link still active ?

Jan 29, 2014 @ 17:14

Yeah works fine here can you try again https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbipklazil41ac5/ContourDatatypes1.0.zip

Jan 29, 2014 @ 17:15

Ah I see the forum is stripping a char

try http://bit.ly/1dO1Nve

Jan 29, 2014 @ 17:18
    Paul Crabb

Got it using the link in the email - thanks - will test after I feed the family this evening :)

Jan 30, 2014 @ 00:40
    Paul Crabb

I'm confused... I've installed the package - new datatypes appear ok but there is nowhere obvious to create the list of values e.g. countries.

I have added a field in a document using the new datatype, I then created a contour "data source" with a "type" of "Save as node", I then used the "ceate form", selected the field defined from the new datatype as one of the form fields,clicked "continue" then in the "set field types" section there is only the usual list of standard field types to select from, if I select dropdown the form crashes while saving.

I'm doing something stupid... but I can't see how I create the list of values associated with a datatype

Jan 30, 2014 @ 08:25

Yeah just populate the list in the Contour section, will provide you some more details on how to use

Jan 30, 2014 @ 22:28
    Paul Crabb

Thanks - more details would be good - I'm not clever enough to complete the jigsaw :)

One problem is I can't see where to populate the list in the contour section.

Jan 31, 2014 @ 11:02

Ok so in Contour just create your form, if you add a list fieldtype (like radiobutton list) you can edit the items it contains, so just design the entire form in the COntour form designer

Once that is done setup the contour datatypes, so hook it to the field containing the values...

And then use that datatype on the document type

When you now use the workflow create doc it will map correctly

Jan 31, 2014 @ 11:05
    Paul Crabb

I'll give it a whirl now...

Jan 31, 2014 @ 12:05
    Paul Crabb

Bingo el bongo... it all works !

...and I think I owe you a big apology for wasting your time creating the new datatypes... because once I understood the method you were using I found that using the standard dropdown list worked equally well.

What I did not realise was that in the workflow there was the "save as Document" option - it never registered with me that it meant an Umbraco document ( even though I know what they are! ) - I told you I was being stupid.

I was fixated on looking at the Datasources method all the time !

Jan 31, 2014 @ 13:54

Great thanks it works now, sorry for the delay :) and no time wasted, other people will be able to use the datatypes :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft