Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 14:50
    Dan

SQL Connection error only on Contour pages

Hi,

I'm probably missing something very obvious here but I've just uploaded a site from local dev server to a newly set up VPS staging server - it's v6.0.3 (upgraded from 4.11.5).  It runs fine on the local dev server but on on the staging server I'm getting a SQL Server (2008 R2 Express) connection error, but only on Contour pages.  So the back-office works fine - I can create content nodes etc, but when I access the Contour section of the back-office I get the error.  Similarly on the front-end I can access all pages except those containing a contour form.

The error is:

Login timeout expired
    A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.
    SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF].

Like I say, there's probably a very simple explanation, but I'm drawing a blank!

Thanks folks.

• Comment author was deleted

Apr 04, 2013 @ 10:54

That's strange, do you have an umbracoDbDSN appsetting in your web.config?

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:04
    Dan

Thanks Tim.  No, there's no setting like that in the <appSettings> section of the web.config - should there be?  The entire contents of the web.config are here: http://pastebin.com/aS158eG4.  This is an upgrade from 4.11.5 to 6.0.3, so perhaps I did mess up something in the manual merge of the config settings?

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:06

Hmmm and do you have any addons installed for Contour that might be doing direct db calls? Custom fieldtypes... ?

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:10
    Dan

No, no add-ons or custom data-types, just a very simple contact form.

Could it be something on the host server (some kind of weird database permission or missing .NET component or something)?  The server is brand new, installed from scratch.  I just don't understand why it connects to the db fine everywhere else but not for Contour.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:13

web.config looks ok and since it works on your local dev server...

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:15

Do you have other sites running on the staging server using that sql server? Do they run fine?

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:17

Yeah probably some setting on the SQL Server  then, but it's still strange that it only affects the Contour part

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:17
    Barry Fogarty

NB in 6.0.3 the umbracoDbDSN has moved from the appSettings section to connectionStrings.  

I had this problem with a package recently, the simple workaround was to recreate the umbracoDbDSN  appSettings key just like it is in a v4.x site.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:18

Any chance you can install a fresh umbraco and then install Contour on that server just as a test to see if you have issues then

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:46

@Barry yeah but Contour uses the constant umbraco.GlobalSettings.DbDSN and that should be using the connectionstring so Contour can work without the appSetting

Apr 04, 2013 @ 11:52
    Dan

Thanks Tim/Barry.  I've tried your suggestion Barry, which I thought must be it, but alas, it didn't resolve it.  It's working on my dev machine with the new db setting (without the appsetting one) too, which confirms that's not the issue I think.  Tim, I'm working on a few things to try to narrow down the issue (connecting to db as sa, setting up a new fresh instance of Umbraco with new database on this server etc).  I'll update this as soon as anything noteable happens.  Thanks for your help chaps, it's much appreciated :)

Apr 04, 2013 @ 12:33

Ok keep us posted :)

Apr 04, 2013 @ 15:42
    Dan

Well, after a lot of playing around with both server config and setting up various sites/databases, I ended up doing the classic 'wipe everything and start again', which seems to have worked.  So unfortunately I'm none the wiser :( but it is now working :).  Thanks again chaps.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 15:44

Ok glad it's sorted :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft