Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 10:55
    Matt Taylor

Questionnaires linked to programmes and members - Job for Contour?

Picture a health club where its members can sign up to one or more health programmes.

1. Physical health programme
    2. Dietry health programme
    3. Mental health programme

Typically a programme will run over a period of 3 months and during this time at intervals of say 2 weeks a member doing a programme will have to fill in an online questionnaire to help guage their progress.

At the end of the programme all the results from the questionnaires are processed and displayed graphically on the member's profile page on the website.

Members may sign up to these programmes over a number of years and the data is all tabulated to show any improvements, avergaes etc.

The key points here are that certain questionnaires need to be linked to certain programmes and the answers to the questionnaires need to be linked to a particular member.

It is also important that the health club staff are able to easily locate completed questionnaires for a particular member and update them if necessary. This requirement may mean that an Umbraco editor is going need an easy way of doing this in the back-end.

If I were doing this without Contour I'd probably build something like this in the content tree:

Members
    - John Shaw
    -- Programmes
    --- Physical Health 01/12/2012
    ---- Physical Health Questionnaire 08/12/2012
    ---- Physical Health Questionnaire 15/12/2012
    --- Dietry Health 01/12/2012
    ---- Dietry Health Questionnaire 08/12/2012
    ---- Dietry Health Questionnaire 15/12/2012

The member nodes would be linked to an actual member using a 'Member Picker'.
    The prorgamme nodes could control which which questionnaires were relevent from the 'Allowed doctypes' relationship.
    The questionnaires themselves would just be doctypes with lots of question fields.

The question is, am I going to be able to achieve this functionality in a better way by using Contour?

Regards,

Matt

• Comment author was deleted

Mar 06, 2013 @ 11:41

Well I would create the questionaire forms in Contour and then link these to the questionnaire docs using the form picker, that way you can create your forms with Contour and you don't have to write your own forms engine... so it would save you effort and time 

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 14:17
    Matt Taylor

Thanks Tim,

I went off and explored Contour some more and had a look at the 'form picker' datatype which Iooks like a good idea.

I think the biggest stumbling block in my head with regards to using the Contour is how to enable an editor to easily find the answers for a particular member and edit them if required.
    I'm guessing I'd have to create a front-end page to do it.
    Would it be easy to create a page for:

1. A member to view/edit their own answers
    2. An admin user to view/edit the answers of any member
    3. Keep it all secure so a member could not view anothers answers

Regards,

Matt

• Comment author was deleted

Mar 07, 2013 @ 15:07

Yup that would be possible,

You can place the form macro in edit mode by providing it with a record id, and contour will always store the member id with the record so it should be easy to fetch the correct record depending in the member that is currently logged in

For the admin page yeah that should also be possible

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft