Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anton Gildebrand 49 posts 149 karma points c-trib
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 21:11
    Anton Gildebrand

Entire site stopped working when i uninstalled

I just installed Contour, since it didn't work as supposed. But now the entire site stopped working.

Could not load file or assembly 'Umbraco.Forms.CodeFirst' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

So it removed a dependency, but not the references to it? How do i solve this?

Jan 12, 2013 @ 21:42
    Anton Gildebrand

I was able to get rid of that message by removing all references to the library from web.config (why isn't that done automaticly on uninstallation of contour?), but now i got a new one instead.

Could not load file or assembly 'Umbraco.Forms.References, Version=1.0.10920.32880, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I can't find any more references to Umbraco.Forms in web.config. What to do?

Jan 12, 2013 @ 21:48
    Anton Gildebrand

Some creative Googling and i was able to solve it. Apparently the Umbraco.Forms.Core.dll hadn't been removed from the bin-folder, by doing so it all works fine again.

• Steve Brown 125 posts 290 karma points
    Jun 18, 2013 @ 21:49
    Steve Brown

Thanks, I was about to have a panic attack. removing references from web.config and manually removing the dll from bin did the trick.

• Andy 8 posts 85 karma points
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 10:29
    Andy

I found that there were 2 references to Umbraco.Forms.CodeFirst in the web.config that needed to be removed. That fixed it for me.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Apr 13, 2014 @ 18:00
    Craig100

This post was a life saver. Contour is a paid for package, it should be a higher quality than the rest and therefore should have a clean uninstall system. It left all sorts of stuff behind in my 6.1.5 build.

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 19:13
    karen

Yes jsut had the same problem.  I got an error when installing Contour (sorry didn't copy it, as the error went away when I reloaded the page), it didnt' show up anywhere (I am completely new to Contour but any guides I followed suggested it should up in the bottlem left tabs (http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2012/11/9/getting-started-with-contour-30-beta.aspx) but it didn't.

So I uninstalled, and entire site crashed.

Luckily found this post - thank you.

(just deleting it from web.config worked)

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Dec 22, 2014 @ 20:33
    Eric Schrepel

Also remove any other contour.dll and Pandemicode.Umbraco.Extensions.dll from /bin. (Pandemicode is a Razor plug-in for Contour.)

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 01, 2015 @ 23:00
    Nicholas Westby

For others who run into this, I just got this error after uninstalling Contour 3.0.27 from an Umbraco 7.2.4 install (currently, the latest version of each). I was able to fix it by deleting two lines in the web.config that I found by searching "Umbraco.Forms".

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Sep 22, 2016 @ 12:37
    MuirisOG

I was trialling it on version 743 of umbraco and hit the same problem when I uninstalled it.

This post has saved me loads of headache.

Many thanks!

Muiris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft