Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon Price 7 posts 26 karma points
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 15:58
    Jon Price

AjaxControlToolKit conflict Contour Forms

We have a project that uses the AjaxControlToolkit.  The site worked just fine until we installed Contour.  Now we get a .Net error that states AjaxControlToolkit.ToolScriptManager exists in both the .Net 4 Framework and Umbraco.Forms.References.DLL.

We are using Contour version 3.0.1

The actual error:

System.Web.HttpCompileException (0x80004005): c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\99ec0aad\8aaa2fe9\App_Web_editprofile.ascx.6bb32623.lemvzvlm.0.cs(177): error CS0433: The type 'AjaxControlToolkit.ToolkitScriptManager' exists in both 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\99ec0aad\8aaa2fe9\assembly\dl3\169c14f0\8006e9fc_6483cc01\AjaxControlToolkit.DLL' and 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\99ec0aad\8aaa2fe9\assembly\dl3\4696fffb\0043b317_4a61cc01\Umbraco.Forms.References.DLL'   at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile()   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath)   at umbraco.developer.assemblyBrowser.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

• Comment author was deleted

Jan 11, 2013 @ 16:30

When do you get the error? Or is the complete site broken?

Jan 11, 2013 @ 18:11
    Jon Price

The page that is using the AjaxControlToolkit gets a Yellow Screen Of Death with this error.

Jan 11, 2013 @ 18:22

Ok quick workaround would be to use the razor macro that doesn't use the ajaxcontroltoolkit, not sure if that is an option?

Jan 11, 2013 @ 18:41
    Jon Price

Yeah, not an option for this particular application.

Jan 11, 2013 @ 18:56

Hmm maybe try using  Umbraco.Forms.References instead of adding  AjaxControlToolkit, what parts do you need?

Jan 11, 2013 @ 21:53
    Jon Price

Tried that already.

We are using parts of the AjaxControlToolKit that are not included in the one the included with Umbraco.Forms.References.  We are using the AsyncUpload, but when I switch over to using the AjaxControlToolKit from the Umbraco.Forms.References, I get an error that the AsyncUpload isn't found.

Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:00

Ok well if that doesn't work I would suggest to go for the razor macro workaround

• Tom 713 posts 954 karma points
    Feb 27, 2013 @ 05:06
    Tom

Was there ever a good solution for this. We have exactly the same problem and use AjaxControlToolkit extensively for an application. could extern alias be a possible solution? we're in the middle of an upgrade path and this is causing us major issues.

Thanks

Feb 27, 2013 @ 06:20
    Jon Price

Nope, no good solution.

We were basically told to either not use Contour or not use the AjaxControlToolKit...so now we are re-writing our template to not use AjaxControlToolkit.

Feb 27, 2013 @ 06:30
    Tom

Wow. That is very disappointing to pay for something and then not really have a fix.

We ended up adding our assembly to the excluded referenced assemblies in TypeFinder.cs in umbraco.core and recompiling.

Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:04

Contour 3 introduces a mvc powered render form control that doesn't use the ajaxcontroltoolkit so if you use that one you should be able to avoid conflicts

Regards,
    Tim 

Feb 27, 2013 @ 13:32
    Jon Price

Ok, how do I make use of that?  We are using Contour 3.

Can I delete the Umbraco.Forms.DLL?  Because that is where the conflict is.  Even if I don't have a contour form on the page, I get the error.

Feb 27, 2013 @ 13:45

Nope can't delete that one, so it happens even if you don't have a contour form on the page let me see if we can do something about that

Feb 27, 2013 @ 14:03

The only option I see is that we remove the use of the ajaxcontroltoolkit out of Contour, I've added this to our issue tracker (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-291) but no eta on this since I first need to make sure it won't affect upgrades

Feb 27, 2013 @ 14:39
    Jon Price

Thanks, that would be great.

It happens because just having both AjaxControlToolkit.dll and Umbraco.Forms.References.dll in the bin directory confuses .Net and it is not sure which AjaxControlToolkit.ToolScriptManager to use.

Feb 27, 2013 @ 23:08
    Tom

Exactly! it happens regardless of having a form on the page or not.

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    May 13, 2013 @ 04:27
    Robert J. Bullock

Having the same issues and frankly, this is a really stupid one! No reason I shouldn't be able to install and use AjaxToolKit's full functionality. There must be a fix, isn't there?

• Marie 14 posts 36 karma points
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 16:55
    Marie

Hi

I am still also chasing a fix for this after waiting for Contour 3 optimistic that the issue was going to be resolved... I have Installed Contour 3.0.6 on our umbraco 4.9.0 website.  Getting Contour working doesn't appear to be an issue though I've only done a basic test, regardless whether you use the MVC macros that don't use Ajax.

The fact that the Umbraco.Forms.References.dll still has a version of the AjaxControlToolkit.dll embedded it causes issues with other areas of our site which use our own version 4 of the AjaxControlToolkit.  We've had Umbraco Complete for over 18 months now and are still no closer to being able to use Contour (without it breaking the rest of our site) until there's a viable fix - changing references and other attempts to resolve this from other post suggestions are not providing us with any success.

4 months on Tim's issue doesn't like its any nearer to being progressed:   http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-291

Anyone managed to find a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 27, 2013 @ 17:28

Hey Marie,

We do have a custom build available that doesn't have the dependencies bundled up in  Umbraco.Forms.References, get you get in touch with me at tg at umbraco dot com  and I can provide you access to that build

Jun 27, 2013 @ 17:30

I'll look into making this part of our build process so it's available on the nightly build server but for now please contact me if you want access

• Umair 13 posts 75 karma points
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 06:44
    Umair

I am getting a similar error trying to use HtmlAgilityPack HtmlDocument(). It seems like the same issue. Any updates? Can i have access to the build please?

Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:26

@Umair can you mail tg at umbraco dot com and I'll provide you with access to the custom build :)

Dec 10, 2013 @ 16:00

New build coming soon that won't have ajaxcontroltoolkit so no more conflicts, you can already get it here http://nightly.umbraco.org/Umbraco%20Contour/3.0.18/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft