Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 09:16
    Fuji Kusaka

File Upload in Contour 1.1.9

Hi All,

I have a form that have a field Type "File Upload" which enables user to Upload Both Doc and Pdfs. This works well until when i want to retrieve the pdf uploaded from the Entries i get the following URL which is not clickable 

/umbraco/plugins/umbracoContour/files/ddcbf977-72b5-480b-b123-96b7be20ae7a/67a1c043-b1dd-4eb5-8c1d-49ee6e64e284/test.pdf

So how can this be clickable link?

Oct 14, 2011 @ 11:09
    Fuji Kusaka

Any suggestions to this??

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 14:57
    Tom Fulton

Hi Fuji,

I don't think you'll be able to make it clickable in the Entries section - I don't think you have any control over how a field renders there (even with custom development) - it just renders the actual text/data that is stored. 

So you'll need to copy/paste for now.  Or you could make it a link in the email you send out, make a custom dashboard etc.

Actually, one solution that might not be too bad would be to write a custom Record Action (I think that's what it's called..) - it would show up when you click the screwdriver/hammer icon next to the record, you could call it Download File and it could send the user directly to the file.  Would require some C# though.

Another way might be to inject some jQuery onto the page with AppBase that could turn them into links automagically.

-Tom

Oct 14, 2011 @ 15:09
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. Well I bought 2 licences of contour for the needs of my clients and am not the one who will be using it to check the records in the Entries. So can tell the client to actually go and copy > paste a URL then add it at the end of the domain name to get the pdf/doc file.

Am not sure on how i will tackle this, or try to make the file downloadable from the email being sent to the admin. 

//fuji

Oct 14, 2011 @ 16:52
    Fuji Kusaka

Hey Tom,

But in the entries you do have a column "URL" which is actually getting the URL of the page from where the form has been filled.  Basically i think the File Upload field should be clickable as well to enable Administrators to just with one click gather any data like img/pdf/xls etc.

I dont see clients copy > paste url in their browser to download files.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 14, 2011 @ 17:46
    Tom Fulton

Hi Fuji,

Yep, the URL column is hardcoded by Contour though, it's not populated from the form.  All the fields populated from the form just show their text representation.

I agree it would be useful to have File Upload fields show as links...maybe the solution is to have a way to control how a given fieldtype displays on the entries page, might be useful for other custom fieldtypes like matrix list, image, etc.

But for now you'd need to do it manually using one of the solutions above (custom RecordAction, or inject jquery).

Also one other thing, you could tell your clients to click on the tools icon, click Edit Values, then it shows a link to download the file.

-Tom

• Lou 59 posts 169 karma points
    Dec 04, 2011 @ 23:36
    Lou

Will Contour continue to be developed for Umbraco 4.7.1 or will it be only upgraded for Umbraco 5?  The reason I ask this is that this issue relating to File Uploads is in version 1.1.9 and its now 1.1.11 and I would have thought that it is a significant issue that should be addressed.

Also if you have uploads on a Contour form and these uploads get put into the umbraco / plugins/ contour / files directory, how do you manage them?  If over a couple of years you get 10,000 uploads how does the client delete them (currently its one at a time) also when you delete the entry, the file you uploaded is still there).

Why are there two copies of the file you upload?

Also why are the uploaded files stored in the Umbraco directory and not App_Data which would be the more appropriate place to store data (uploaded files are data).

The whole purpose of Contour is for the CMS user to create and manage forms, yet it doesn't allow them to manage the forms.

Will this be fixed for 4.7 ?

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:54
    Amir Khan

I second Lou's post, what's up with the 2 copies of the file?

• Sean 64 posts 116 karma points
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 20:29
    Sean

Any updates on the above posts? It would be great to get some direction and feedback on how / if this is being addressed. The current method of uploaded file management / viewing is not in the least user friendly. When I roll out a form with a file upload feature in Contour, it would be great to have a simple, intuitive way for the client to manage and view the uploads, as opposed to implementing roundabout ways with Dropbox for example, or saying "click here, then here, then that, then here, then here, look in that TAB ... now you have your file!".

I love working with Umbraco (especially being a .NET guy), but after so many years and a fair sized user / adoption base that continues to grow, one would think some basic functionality and packages such as a form, would be very polished and feature rich. You can download and use myriads of different packages, for example, on the inferior WordPress CMS (and for free) that completely trump Contour's feature list, respectively.

Just sayin'

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    Jun 06, 2014 @ 06:23
    Chris Mahoney

It's been a couple of years since the last post here; does anyone know whether this functionality was ever added to Contour? I'm running 3.0.17 and the uploaded file URL still isn't hyperlinked.

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to implement; the email body is already HTML and Umbraco (6.1.6) clearly knows the domain name of the site as it shows it in the title bar. Naturally I'm not familiar with Contour's code but it looks like it'd be trivial to add this feature and it'd be very beneficial for users.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jun 06, 2014 @ 14:48
    Amir Khan

Hi Chris, the easiest way for you to get around this is to send an XSLT transformed email, I believe you'll have to install the Contour Contrib package and then it will be one of the options. You can modify the XSLT as you see fit to grab the path to an uploaded file and hyperlink it.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/contour-contrib

Hope this helps!
    Amir

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft