Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chester Campbell 98 posts 209 karma points
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 21:28
    Chester Campbell

Contour not sending emails problem

Hi,
    We're having a similar issue (similar to the one discussed here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/contour/11821-Email-not-being-sent?p=0) with sending emails from Umbraco Contour. However, the fixes discussed in the original thread aren't working for us.
    Our setup is:
    - Umbraco 4.5.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.3891.20719)
    - Contour package v1.1.2
    - CmsImport package v1.0.4
    - FamFamFam Icon package v1
    - Windows Server 2008 (dedicated server)
    - IIS 7
    - MS SQL Server 2005
    To troubleshoot the issue I have set up an XSLT file that uses the umbraco.library:SendMail() extension method and I have created a Contour form using the Contact Us template.
    Also, I created an ASP.Net web control that creates a MailMessage and sends an email. It's very barebones but uses the SMTP settings from the Umbraco web.config file.
    Our SMTP server belongs to our client and we do not have direct access to it so I can't check the logs.
    Our client wants the "from" address of emails from the site to be "[email protected]" (I'm obscuring their actual domain for privacy reasons).
    With the site configured to send "from" [email protected] we get:
    - Umbraco notifications: no email received
    - Contour forms with email sending workflows: no email received
    - Default Contour contact us form: no email received
    - XSLT using umbraco.library:SendMail(): no email received
    - My test asp.net web control: email is received
    With the site configured to send "from" my personal work email address we get:
    - Contour forms with email sending workflows: email is received
    - Default Contour contact us form: email is received
    - XSLT using umbraco.library:SendMail(): email is received
    I can also run the same tests with a bogus email address: [email protected] and we get:
    - Contour forms with email sending workflows: email is received
    - Default Contour contact us form: email is received
    - XSLT using umbraco.library:SendMail(): email is received
    There are no messages in the Umbraco log database table to help us track down the problem. It's almost as if Umbraco has an issue with the email address [email protected].
    So what I know at this point is:
    - The SMTP server does relay emails and will relay emails "from" [email protected].
    - Umbraco Contour form workflows will send emails "from" any email address BUT [email protected].
    - The XSLT extension method umbraco.library:SendMail() will send emails "from" any email address BUT [email protected].
    - My test ASP.Net web control will always send emails "from" any address.
    Does anyone have any ideas on why Umbraco would have an issue with this one email address? And why do we get some emails but no Umbraco Notifications?
    Thanks!!
    chester

Sep 16, 2010 @ 21:30
    Chester Campbell

sigh ... sorry for the formatting. When I try to edit the post I get an XSLT error. 

• Comment author was deleted

Sep 17, 2010 @ 09:00

Hi Chester, I think this is more a smtp server issue, just use a valid sender email address.

Regards,
    Tim

Sep 23, 2010 @ 23:53
    Chester Campbell

Hi Tim,

Our client had a configuration problem with the email address they gave us to use. We changed it for another (a known valid mailbox) and now email sending works properly (including Notifications).

Thanks!

chester

• Greg Mattison 40 posts 60 karma points
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 20:17
    Greg Mattison

Hello, we cannot get Contour forms to send emails, though the recipients are setup and the mail settings below are correct.  We tested these mail setting in code outside of Umbraco and it worked.  However, we cannot get it to work in Umbraco.  We have tried several configurations of this as well and no success. Any ideas?  

<system.net>

<mailSettings>

<smtp from="[email protected]">

<network enableSsl="true" host="smtp.gmail.com" userName="[email protected]" password="xxxxxxx" port="587" defaultCredentials="false"/>

</smtp>

</mailSettings>

</system.net>

Feb 01, 2012 @ 21:34
    Greg Mattison

Can anybody help?

Feb 02, 2012 @ 10:07

@Greg, did you update the sender email in the /config/umbracosettings.config ?

Feb 02, 2012 @ 17:53
    Greg Mattison

Yes, here's the code from the umbracosettings.config.  This is odd that it wont send as we've tested the email connection outside of Umbrao and can send email.

<notifications>

<!-- the email that should be used as from mail when umbraco sends a notification -->

<email>[email protected]</email>

</notifications>

Feb 02, 2012 @ 17:56

Could you try the workflow that's part of contour contrib: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/contour-contrib,might be the ssl that is causing the issue

Feb 02, 2012 @ 18:08
    Greg Mattison

I tried the send email workflows in Contrib. Tried:  Send Email, Send Email Extended, Send XSLT Transformed Email and none worked.   Thanks for your help! 

Feb 03, 2012 @ 16:03

Hmm doubt that its a Contour issue the, have you tried of the umbraco notifications get emailed (so as a user subscribe to a notification like create)

• Rune Grønkjær 1371 posts 3102 karma points
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 08:13
    Rune Grønkjær

Any luck finding a solution Greg? I'm experiencing a problem just like this. Contour is not sending e-mail with the normal send e-mail workflow type. Tea Commerce can send e-mails from the same website, so it's NOT the smtp.

Like you the the smtp needs both a username and a password. Might have something to do with that, Tim?

/Rune

• Ryan Green 63 posts 83 karma points
    Jun 17, 2013 @ 19:38
    Ryan Green

i am having this issue as well. I have the correct email address setup in the umbraco config, as well as in the SMTP have the ip of the mail server,

Jun 18, 2013 @ 13:11

@Ryan does the smtp also need a username and password?

Jun 19, 2013 @ 14:10

@Ryan any update on this?

• Ryan Green 63 posts 83 karma points
    Jun 19, 2013 @ 14:49
    Ryan Green

We got it corrected late last night. It was the ports on the firewall to allow port 25.

Jun 19, 2013 @ 15:01

Ok thanks for the update :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft