Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 16:35
    Pete

How do I get in to my umbraco website?

This is going to sound daft I'm sure, but I had a website developed in Umbraco 7 years ago and the company who built it no longer exists.

Is it possible to get in to the site without passwords etc or do I have to scrap it and start again?

I guess the PS from this would be is anyone willing / able to support us on the website in the future?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 16:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pete and welcome to our :)

7 years ago...wow...that's a looong time in the business of CMS sofware.

If you have some development skills yourself some of the tips on how to reset a password from this post might help http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset?p=1 - However if it's version 2.x.x or 3.x.x of Umbraco your site is running then it might not help since I think this applies to version 4+ of Umbraco.

But perhaps it's better to take the opportunity to start over if the site is not too content heavy and has all sorts of integration since A LOT has happened with Umbraco the last 7 years. But of course it would be nice to gain access to the site, which might make a switch to a newer version easier.

Where in the world are you located? Perhaps it would be a good idea to get in touch with a certified partner in your area? http://umbraco.com/certified-partners.aspx

/Jan

• Pete 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 16:57
    Pete

Wow - that was quick!

I'm afraid I have the development skills of a blind hedgehog - in a bag.

Suffice to say that it is unlikely I'll be able to do much with the link other than confuse myself, but that said, I really do appreciate the effort you have made in pointing me in that direction.

I am quite impressed with myself in discovering that the version is umbraco v 3.0.5 (Assembly version: 1.0.3050.25839)

The version I have is quite content-heavy but would be archive material now I guess - I certainly wouldn't want to lose it.

We're based in Derby, central UK.  I've tried many times to find local developers but to no avail.  It seems that in this part of the world there are other, more common CMS platforms?

I will check the list in your post and see if any new developers have arrived since I last looked?

Many thanks again for your response.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 19:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Pete

Ok, but if you can't find anyone near Derby perhaps have a look around London or Manchester where I know some companies that do Umbraco. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out somehow and they do also know a bit of Umbraco 3 :)

I can understand that you don't want to loose the content and it should be possible to keep it even though you decide to migrate to latest version. But if you get in touch with some of the certified developers / companies I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Hope you succeed.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft