Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anita Madsen 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 24, 2015 @ 10:02
    Anita Madsen

Embedding video from media directory

I've been trying for some time now to embed a video that I uploaded to Umbraco's media directory, but I can't find a way to do it. I've tried different macros and packages but can't find a good solution. It's important that whatever the solution, it will be easy to upload and embed new videos in the backoffice. Is there a way to do this?

I really don't want to have to go through youtube for this, so I hope there is another way. Thanks for the help :)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 24, 2015 @ 10:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anita and welcome to our :)

What kind of packages have you been trying out? And do you have some code you have been working on? Is there any reason why you want to handle the videos using the media archive rather than uploading the videos on youtube or vimeo and then embed them from there? If it would be fine to host the videos on youtube you have the advantage of having a free account where videos are hosted so it does not take up space on your webhosting and you don't have to think about serving different formats for different types of browser due to the fact the browsers don't support the same video formats among other benefits in regards to marketing and the fact that it's easy to simply use the embed function in the rich text editor to display videos from youtube or vimeo by simply copy/pasting a url.

If you need to maintain many videos it can quickly take up a lot of space and therefore it might be a good idea to consider other options. But if it's just like 10 videos or something then you can of course choose to handle it using Umbraco - But as mentioned you will need to support more than 1 format.

Looking forward to learning a bit more about your scenario.

/Jan

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 24, 2015 @ 10:23
    Dave Woestenborghs

Also if you use Youtube or Vimeo like Jan mentioned you can embed them right in the Rich text editor using the embed dialog.

For embedding them outside the rich text editor you can use my package : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/oembed-picker-property-editor

Dave

Mar 24, 2015 @ 10:37
    Anita Madsen

The reason I don't want to do it through youtube is part because I'm not the one who is going to maintain the site, so I want to make it easier for the ones who are, and part because the second I upload a video to youtube, technically google owns it and then I have to ask permission to use it. It also gives an ekstra step when having to add a new video. 

I thought I was close to a solution with the HTML5 Video package, but I couldn't make it work.

I don't have to be able to handle a lot of them, but if there is no practical way of doing it, I guess I'll have to go through youtube. 

Mar 24, 2015 @ 10:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anita

Ok, then it may make sense to use a custom approach. But as I said you should be aware that you'll probably need to support more formats to reach the largest amount of browsers. So I suggest that you create the video using a tool like http://easyhtml5video.com/, which seems to be free.

This table on http://diveintohtml5.info/video.html#what-works shows what formats one needs to take into account to ensure the widest reach.

In suppose it's this package you're thinking about https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/html5-video ? It's from 2010 so it probably not compatible with the latest versions of Umbraco but perhaps you can display the code that you're trying to get to work? Then we can try and take it from there - It's totally possible to make it work - Just wanted to highlight that there might be other scenarios that makes more sense in general.

So let's crack this nut together shall we? :)

/Jan

Mar 24, 2015 @ 10:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anita

Just digged out this post where I made an answer to Thomas about how to render videos https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/61725-How-to-upload-video-in-media-section-in-Umbraco7-?p=1 - But as mentioned - To support more formats you'll need to have more <source> elements in your output.

If I remember correctly the HTML5 player packages solves this by adding a custom "video" media type to the solution and then it has 2-3 upload fields - 1 field for each format that is supported and then it's rendering each of these fields as the sources.

I hope this makes sense :)

/Jan

Mar 24, 2015 @ 11:28
    Anita Madsen

It seems simpler to go through youtube, so in the end it is propably the best solution. Thank you for the help :)

Mar 24, 2015 @ 11:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anita

Yeah there a quite a few things to consider when going down the path of handling video by yourself. As I said it's doable though :)

Happy coding!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft