Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JJ 41 posts 83 karma points
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:22
    JJ

Clone website & clean up database

I'm working on a number of projects which are very similar in structure, so it makes sense to create a good single instance in umbraco, develop all my SurfaceControllers then clone the files & db for the next version.

I know I could create a package, but I've not had much success in the past with those, so my question is, if I copy the database, is there a clean way i can remove all the content nodes & media nodes and remove any trace of them being there? I know i can just delete them in the UI, but even after empyting the recylce bin, they remain in the database and history.

I want to keep my templates, macros, partials, datatypes, media types etc, and idealy a few top level nodes with history removed.

Thanks

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:31
    Dennis Aaen

Hi JJ,

Take a look at these links they are about the same topic, maybe it could help you to find a way you could could get a Umbraco website base, and then clone the base website to new customers.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/11639-Creating-a-base-install-of-Umbraco

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/27290-Clean-Umbraco-Website-Copy

Hope this can help you further.

/Dennis

• JJ 41 posts 83 karma points
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:45
    JJ

Thanks. I'm partially doing that with TFS, but have a database with a couple of deployments' data in it right now that I could do with flushing for the next.

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 12:05
    Dennis Aaen

Hi JJ,

The way we do at my work, is that we have a project called baseline, and in that baseline we added  the common feature for our customers.

Everytime we start up a new project we clone the baseline project, and starting code from there. When we clone a project we also setup new clean databases and added the connectionstrings to the new database add restore the data from the baseline into the new database.

If we make some new feature for a customer and we can see other customers are applying for the same feature, then we add the feature to the baseline project. (templates, macros, partials, datatypes, media types etc) so we don´t need to delvelop the feature erverytime.

In our baseline we also have a style stylesheet with the common elements and some basic styling, but no coloor, and we don´t either add any real content to the baseline project. The only content that we have in our baseline project is some dummy text like (lorem ipsum) for the common elements like a page, a newslist and newsitem and so on.

So your baseline project is your starting point when start a new project on, and it will have the new feature that you have developed, if you remember to update the project :)

Hope this description can help you.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft