Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 13:17
    Martin Griffiths

Sort UI height doesn't drop down to cancel and save buttons

Why doesnt the height of the sort box drop down as far as the save button? It's very shallow and not very functional if you have a lot of items to sort!

ADDED: actually a slight rethink - So here we are in 2014 at the lofty heights of Umbraco 7 and a swanky new UI.....Why on earth do we STILL have NO drag and drop of documents in the tree? Surely it would make managing large sites far, far easier? Why cant we have an API check on drop of document to ensure the document type is allowed within it's parent or child along with a dialog box to say, are you sure you want to move the item here? And within a document, simple drag and drop functionality to reorder siblings. 

I KNOW this has been requested for many times, by many people!

• Jeremy Pyne 106 posts 246 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 17:29
    Jeremy Pyne

I had a v6 damo that did jsut that but it was ejected for "adding complexity to the core" or some such.

I can migrate it to v7 but thats sort of a waste if it won't be incoperated. 

(It was sugested to be put in a package, but the script intigation required for it to work cant be done in the package framework(

Jan 13, 2014 @ 17:35
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Jeremy

I added a feature request about a year ago which has many comments and suggestions, some of which lead on to improvements to things like tabs and MNTP. But still nothing in the main tree menu and I still feel it's an important time saving feature. I've updated the ticket - U4-229 Feature request - drag and drop tree and draggable splitter

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:39
    Per Ploug

The reason why we are not adding drag and drop to the tree, is because we do not want to mix navigation with re-arranging content, accidents are bound to happen, things will accidently be moved and dissappear, I dont know how many times I've done this in windows explorer, and it will make the tree more complex and slower to render, so its not like we are ignore your requests, we have actively decided not to do it the way you suggest.

The sorting dialog is not included in the 7.0 rebuild - it will be at some point, but if we had to replace every dialog in 7.0 we wouldn't be done within the next years, so it will be redone when we have time.

If you want to speed up development, we have the google groups dev list for guiding submissions to the core.

Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:48
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Per

Surely a simple confirmation dialog would prevent nodes being accidentally dropped into a parent or a child? Of course a dialog is necessary to tell you if its even allowed in the first place!

As for sorting, well yes I agree it could be done accidentally, as a dialog in this case would be slow down the end-user. But accidental sorting is hardly a disaster for an end-user anyway and would be easily rectified once noticed.

I've always found re-ordering content painful in Umbraco which is what DnD is perfect for!

Anyway, thats my opinion and others agree (or code solutions wouldnt otherwise appear). You clearly still dont seem keen on the idea, personally I feel it's a barrier for end-users. Our marketing department is always complaining sorting is painful and they ARE our end-users!

Martin

Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:49
    Martin Griffiths

I think you should canvas more users and get a better overall opinion.

Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:51
    Martin Griffiths

If things are not set to change can you at least tweak the UI in 7 so the DIV box reaches the bottom of the browser window (where the buttons lie). Its too shallow! Refer to the screenshot.

Martin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft