Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Zweben 265 posts 749 karma points
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 18:45
    David Zweben

Entire CMS backoffice broke

I was doing some trial-and-error property editor development on a test Umbraco 7.0.1 installation today. After making one of my changes, the entire CMS stopped working! The section buttons stopped showing up in the sidebar, and nothing is usable. Clicking the node that shows up just generates more JS errors. I've tried in multiple browsers with the same results.

Broken CMS Screenshot

This specific occurrence isn't a big problem because it's just a test installation, but I was planning to start using v7.0.1 for a real site, and this has me concerned about doing that. Even after deleting the property editor I was working with from the App_Data folder and touching Web.config, the CMS remained broken. I'm not really sure what happened here. I'm probably just going to do a fresh install in this case, but I'm not always going to have that luxury. Any ideas what happened or if this is possible to fix?

Thanks,
    David

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 19:57
    Warren Buckley

Hiya David, I did a quick google on your HTTP Error Code and first post back from StackOverflow talks about web servers & settings http://stackoverflow.com/questions/566437/http-post-returns-the-error-417-expectation-failed-c

I would try this install out on your local machine as opposed to your remote server and see if this helps or not.

Cheers,

Warren

Dec 15, 2013 @ 20:21
    David Zweben

Thanks for your help. Should've thought to google the error. The thing is, it was working fine for weeks before, and I didn't make any configuration changes to the server. The only thing I was changing when it broke was my own property editor. I did find something strange though: I backed up and completely deleted the broken Umbraco installation from my server, reinstalled with a new empty database from the Umbraco 7.0.1 install package, and the new installation had the same problem right after installation finished, so I agree that it does look like something might be going on outside the CMS itself.

I tried adding to the web.config, to no effect. If I keep having issues installing on the server, I'll give a local install a shot.

Thanks, David

• Jay Criscione 16 posts 105 karma points
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 20:33
    Jay Criscione

The backoffice buttons are all missing on the 7.0.1 build. you probably will want to revert to the 7.0.0 build.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 22:20
    Rasmus Berntsen

I have this error too. Installed Umbraco 7.0.1 on UnoEuro using the SQL CE. It dies after a couple of minutes and throws a lot of those http 417 errors. I did some googling but cant find any easy general fix to the problem, besides removing the cookies and log in again (Chrome: Dev tools > Resources > Cookies. Right click on the name of the webpage and select "clear".) But you will probably have to do this quite often, I'm afraid.

Dec 16, 2013 @ 00:42
    David Zweben

I did some more testing, and now I'm pretty sure it is related to the property editor I was working on, and not an issue with my server. I reinstalled the CMS, and it didn't work until clearing the cache in my browser, at which point it worked fine. I reinstalled the property editor, it broke, uninstalled and cleared the cache, back to working again. Not good if a property editor can break the whole CMS, but at least I know it's fixable now. Still not sure why the property editor is causing problems though, especially because it worked fine in Umbraco 7.0.

-David

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 10:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@David If you have any information on how to reproduce the error in 7.0.1 we're eager to hear about it on the issue tracker. We try very hard not to make breaking changes between minor releases but we might've overlooked something that needs to be fixed.

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 10:58
    Rasmus Fjord

I have something similar, tough there are no special property editors.

I just finished updating to 7.01 and when i login i get this :

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 11:06
    Rasmus Fjord

never mind. For some reason when i just deleted the cookies everything went back to normal.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 13:47
    Rasmus Berntsen

Hmnn interesting. Mine wasn't an update but still did it. Removed the cookies and everything still works as expected. No clue what I did to cause the errors.

Dec 16, 2013 @ 18:38
    David Zweben

@David If you have any information on how to reproduce the error in 7.0.1 we're eager to hear about it on the issue tracker. We try very hard not to make breaking changes between minor releases but we might've overlooked something that needs to be fixed.

I'll do some testing when I get a chance, maybe tonight. I'm pretty sure I can reproduce it on a fresh 7.0.1 installation simply by installing my in-progress property editor. If so, I'll post the property editor files here. I'm not sure if I'll be able to narrow it down enough to make a proper issue tracker item for it, but I'll see what I can do.

Dec 17, 2013 @ 00:14
    David Zweben

Well, quick follow-up. I tried installing my property editor again on an Umbraco 7.0.1 installation, and... it seems to have worked just fine this time. I did everything the same as before, as far as I can think of, so I'm not sure why I'm getting a different result this time, but it looks like I'm not currently able to reproduce the issue. I'll post an update here if I run into it again, though.

-David

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 12:53
    Per Ploug

A change made in 7.0.1 has that we added a required csrf token for improved security, so upgrades from 7.0.0 needed to have their cookies cleared, if already logged in when upgrading.

All token related issues will return a 417 http response code

Dec 17, 2013 @ 18:40
    David Zweben

A change made in 7.0.1 has that we added a required csrf token for improved security, so upgrades from 7.0.0 needed to have their cookies cleared, if already logged in when upgrading.

All token related issues will return a 417 http response code

Hi Per,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like that's probably the issue I ran into. I didn't do an upgrade, but I did have a 7.0 install which I erased and replaced with a 7.0.1 install on the same website; I'm guessing that's equivalent to an upgrade in this case.

Might I suggest that clearing cookies be added to the Upgrade Notes on this page? I wasn't aware of the need to do that.

Regards,
    David

• Dima Stefantsov 100 posts 225 karma points
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 08:38
    Dima Stefantsov

Got same error. Thankfully google and you helped: I cleared cookies, everything went back to normal.

This happened to me after I have installed VS2013 and run umbraco701 there. Used WebMatrix before that.

Jan 04, 2014 @ 04:05
    David Zweben

This issue keeps returning for me, and I keep having to remove the cookies for my Umbraco installation to fix it. It seems to only happen after I'm logged out due to inactivity, at which point it seems to reoccur about 50% of the time.

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Oct 16, 2015 @ 18:07
    Matthew Kirschner

I am being plagued by this issue on 7.2.8. Would be nice to know exactly what causes it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft