Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graeme W 113 posts 289 karma points
    Dec 06, 2013 @ 13:44
    Graeme W

Errors in some pages in new installation of Umbraco 7

I've done a fresh install of Umbraco 7 and have applied the standard website starter kit to it.

Some pages are ok but on others I get the following message

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

the offending line of code is

var nodeIds = Model.GetPropertyValue<string>("contentPanels").Split(',');

Is this a bug in v7 or is the starter kit using discontinued features - Can anyone help ? thanks

• Rasmus Trumf 78 posts 160 karma points
    Dec 14, 2013 @ 23:00
    Rasmus Trumf

Its because you havent created a contentpanel for the specific page you are trying to open. Create a contentpanel or nest the code in a try catch...

Rasmus

Dec 16, 2013 @ 20:31
    Rasmus Trumf

or even better contain it in: if (Model.Content.HasProperty("contentPanels"))

Dec 17, 2013 @ 12:44
    Graeme W

Thanks for the tips Rasmus.

This is with the "out of the box" installation of the basic website starter kit package which worked fine when installed on v6

So I guess that package isn't yet fully compatible with v7

Dec 17, 2013 @ 18:57
    Graeme W

I just installed the standard website starter kit using v 7.0.1 and it's now up and running and seems to be ok

The differences apart from using 7.0.1 instead of 7.0  were installing through web matrix on a different machine, and using SQL CE

Dec 17, 2013 @ 19:41
    Graeme W

I spoke too soon. Although the website now runs ok, If I try and create a new page I get

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.
    Failed to retreive data for empty content item type Standard 

The standard document type is there but I don't know enough about Umbraco yet to work out what's wrong with it...

Dec 17, 2013 @ 20:00
    Rasmus Trumf

I made a fresh install with 7.0.1 and created the documenttypes and properties etc. manually. I have a pretty good site running now, without the package installed. I also had another site with the package to compare with. My advice is to make another site and create what you need manually...

Dec 17, 2013 @ 20:01
    Rasmus Trumf

that will also give you a good insight in how Umbraco actually works ;-)

Dec 18, 2013 @ 11:48
    Rasmus Trumf

Hello,

This package is not compatible with U7. As I said before, build it manually again or wait until the package is updated. I guess this could take some time though, because U7 is a complete new build and a lot is rewritten.

Could you please mark a post as the solution if it helped you.

Rasmus

Dec 18, 2013 @ 11:54
    Graeme W

Hi Rasmus. Yes I sort of come to that conclusion already. Shame as this starter kit was a really good way of getting a site that meets our requirement up and running quickly and I used it to sell Umbraco to the organisation. I guess it shouldn't take too long to re-create once I know what I'm doing though 

Out of interest did you create your version using exactly the same Document types/names as the starter kit? I noticed some tutorials and newer starter kits use "text page" doc type (or something similar) and wondered if that was a de-facto standard?

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 13:17
    Per Ploug

What starterkit is this? - website implementations shouldnt change between v6 and v7 - so templates, macros etc that work in V6 should also work in V7

Dec 18, 2013 @ 13:21
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft