Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    May 28, 2011 @ 20:47
    Craig100

Redirect after login

Hi,

I'm importing an existing web site into Umbraco 4.7 as an exercise.  It has an integrated login section in the Master page (that is, not a seperate login page).  Using nothing but the Umbraco interface I've got it working using the asp.net loginview control which I just dropped in as text and setting up a memberGroup and memberType. However, once logged in, the user is still on the same page. I need to redirect them to the members area page.  I can't see anyway of doing this in Umbraco or in WebMatrix.  Could someone please advise?

Regards,

Craig

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    May 29, 2011 @ 00:32
    Lesley

Hi Craig,

How does the existing site deal with this? I imagine it has some code behind which handles the ViewChanging event (or similar) and redirects? So to reproduce this you could: Create a user control for your LoginView (including code behind) and add that to Umbraco as you would an xslt macro (see free umbraco.tv video http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco/developer-introduction/using-net-user-controls)

Does that sound ok?

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    May 29, 2011 @ 00:50
    Craig100

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your reply. The original site is a PHP site bult on Expression Engine.  If I could put Umbraco into VS2010 I'd be away but I don't know where to start as when I tried it, it wouldn't compile so I guess I'll have to spend another thousand pounds on the part 2 course to find out why.  However, I've learnt that I can use the controls declarative syntax to do it like so:-

<asp:login id="login1" runat="server" DestinationPageUrl="/member-area/" />.

I thought there might be some Umbraco way of doing something so obviously common but I couldn't find it.  But that's just the same as anything in .NET I suppose. You end up building stuff you didn't need to because it's to difficult to find the pre-built stuff. But I really hate letting MS generate code.

I'm aware of wrapping a usercontrol into a macro but I don't want to build bits of stuff. I'm used to building a whole enterprise in VS so I can run and debug it properly. I'll learn with time. Nothing that's MS based is simple once you get past the marketing hype.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft