Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    May 25, 2011 @ 19:18
    Daniel Harris

Help with best way to implement a Rating system? - Few General Questions too

Hi,

I have created a Document Type, and have created an XSLT file and Macro to show all of the information required.

However, there is 1 part I haven't implemented, and being new to Umbraco i'm wondering what's the best way to go about it.

Firstly, with Umbraco is it generally good practice to create your pages through XSLT and a Macro, or is there a better way?

Secondly, my client wants users to be able to rate this content. If I wasn't using a CMS, i'd just code a user control, and store the ratings in the database.

With Umbraco, how do you store data relating a Document, and then create a control to allow that to be updated, rather than just adding it as a property to the Document Type?

Am I going about things the wrong way here, should I be building most of the code to display my DocumentTypes through the MasterPage (Template) or should I be doing most content display through XSLT and Macros, with very little in the actual template controls?

Is all the data for each Document in an Umbraco site stored in XML or in the Database (or both?)

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2011 @ 00:55
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Daniel,

Quick one, specifically for the rating system - there was an old package available for this (for Umbraco v4.0) called Star Rating, not sure if it will work with v4.7?

As for rolling your own - you can store the data wherever you want to ... directly in the database, via a property (custom data-type), XML/CSV dump, etc.  (Personally I'd keep it stored against the Document in a (doc-type) property.

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft