Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 08, 2011 @ 19:33
    Sean

Best way to learn about skinning / templates ?

Is there any documentation on properly skinning Umbraco, other than the videos?

If I create a masterpage and accompanying CSS, how do I apply it to the site, through the admin (??) or....??

Thank you for any help!

Sean.

• Lyubomir Velchev 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 09, 2011 @ 11:28
    Lyubomir Velchev

I read somewhere that there will be a book about umbraco but it is still unpublished.

I am using Visual Studio.NET 2010, it is much more easier thatn admin panel because you can use intelisence. 

If you go to umbraco administration and then Templates folder you can create new template, which is mster page, then you can edit this master page using the visual studio. The css styles are located in the css folder. You can place there whatever style you want and then can use it in the master pages (Templates).

Lyubo

May 09, 2011 @ 14:34
    Sean

Hi Lyubomir, thanks for the input.

What I was wondering though, if there is a particular way in which Umbraco templates are installed, say through "packages" or if the files are just placed in the /masterpages folder and that's it? In other words, is it just ASP.NET Masterpages here, or are there any backoffices steps to take?

Thanks,

Sean. 

• Jon Cuthbert 84 posts 173 karma points
    May 09, 2011 @ 15:39
    Jon Cuthbert

Yes, at the codeplex site there is a Skinning Guide PDF on the documentation page.

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/documentation

• Lyubomir Velchev 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 09, 2011 @ 16:09
    Lyubomir Velchev

Hi Sean,

If you just add masterpage file without using umbraco admin it will not be saved in the database - table [cmsTemplate].

The right way is first from umbraco backend and and then you can edit the file in the Visual Studio.

Thanks,

Lyubo

May 09, 2011 @ 19:46
    Sean

Thanks Jon, that's exactly what I was looking for. :-)

Thanks for the tip Lyubomir, I will create a zip package for installing the template.....just to keep things nice-and-neat.

Cheers,
    Sean.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft