Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Clair 36 posts 86 karma points
    Apr 20, 2011 @ 17:01
    Clair

Rank properties based on page

I'm creating a profile page. While all the people who have profiles will have the same properties, they are going to want them sorted differently on the front end of the site.

For example, person "A" will might want their Bio first, then education, then Certifications. Person "B" might want their education first, then certifications, then bio. The combinations are pretty much endless.

I would like to be able to allow the user to choose sort their info on the back end, all using the same document type. Is there any way to do this?

• Charles Zipp 20 posts 81 karma points
    Apr 24, 2011 @ 21:36
    Charles Zipp

Hey Clair,

One way you might accomplish this is to take advantage of the ASP.NET Web Parts/Personalization controls. Keep in mind that umbraco at its core is a asp.net web forms application. Therefore, you can put asp.net server side controls in your User Controls (macros) and templates. I would reccomend creating an empty web forms application first and get to learn the asp.net web parts and personalization features. Then, move those into a user control or straight onto a template (which ever best works for you).

Heres a blog post Scott Gu from microsoft wrote on the feature, Theres a ton of info on it on msdn. I have played with this in the past and i remember one of the features was users being able to move controls around on the page. That would probably facilitate your sorting requirement.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/07/22/Recipe_3A00_-Dynamic-Site-Layout-and-Style-Personalization-with-ASP.NET--.aspx

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 24, 2011 @ 23:08
    Rich Green

I assume the 'Certifications' are all nodes in Umbraco?

If so then you can just set up a Doc Type with an uComponents MultiTreeNodePicker that allows the certifications to be picked and sorted.

Then for each Profile just create a new node and then sort / pick the certifications as you choose (using the MNTP)

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft